NOOB Help

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Josh222
First Gear

NOOB Help

Post by Josh222 »

Hi everyone, please excuse my noobness but I am just starting out here. I plan on getting a Legacy turbo sedan within the next 2 months and I have a few questions and was hoping people could help me out.

My first question is how much boost does this car run stock, I searched but couldn't find a straight answer.

I know people use wrx tmic in the Legacy and got one off a friend with what I think is called the Y-Pipe since it was just laying around, will this make much of a difference over not having any cooler?

My next question is how much boost can the motor handle with out many upgrades and how much boost can the stock turbo produce?

I am still new to this but will an electronic boost controller work with the stock turbo?

My goal is 200-225whp, is this realistic without spending large amounts of money?

Thank you for your time... Josh
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Learn to use the search feature, there are tons of answers to these questions on the forums :)
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
Josh222
First Gear

Post by Josh222 »

I did, but honestly sometimes searches are not all that helpful. If I was able to find every thing I needed with the search I wouldn't be here posting looking like a total idiot.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Welcome to the BBS. Once you get your t-leg you'll never look back.

But seriously, search harder. Search more than just this category. I know there are threads that cover all these basic questions. Some of which can be found without scrolling/searching.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

6 threads down in the engine forum, for instance.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=31534
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

the stock ecu maximizes boost at 8.5psi
the stock turbo is capable of about 12 or 12.5 psi with an intercooler and manual boost controller

the ej22t engine is capable of 25psi boost or more in stock form, from a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, front mount intercooler, better fuel pump, and some engine management of some form.

Once you boost above the 12psi range, you will ruin your stock gearset in no time.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

all those things are conditionally true... which is why threads like this dont work...
I was the same way when I first got into it. There is no set path. Its not like a 300zx or a WRX where you can go out and get a stage 2 kit and have a set amount of horsepower...

There are really two ways to make a bitchin car out of a legacy.

1. Build up one part at a time, which causes other parts to break, and you upgrade things as you break them (what I did originally). This is expensive, frustrating, and can be a MAJOR problem if its your only car

2. Read, read, read. Read other peoples mod threads, from start to finish. Learn what they did wrong and right, and more importantly, WHY it was wrong or right. Understand how the car works as a system, figure out what you want out of it, decide on a path, and start putting it together.

Bheinen says: "the ej22t engine is capable of 25psi boost or more in stock form, from a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, front mount intercooler, better fuel pump, and some engine management of some form. "

This is technically true from what Ive seen, but its not necessary the best way of hitting high horsepower numbers. More boost does not always mean more hosepower. an EJ22T shortblock with EJ20G heads could make more power with 12psi than a stock EJ22T at 20psi, depending on the setup. Meth injection in conjunction with a topmount and waterspray can be a cheaper and less visible alternative to going with a front mount. 220whp could probably be made with a JDM STI ecu, rather than an aftermarket ECU.

It's all about systems... and it can get pretty complicated to build a fast, reliable engine.

More air and more gas means more horsepower
More air means more heat
More heat means more detonation
More horsepower means more exhaust
and it goes on and on.

It all comes down to this:
Fast, cheap, reliable: Pick 2.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i pick ++fast +++reliable what you get = holes in your pockets + fast and reliable.

so if i picked cheap an reliable i would have more money to = sex drugs and rock and roll

on the other hand you could pick fast an cheap but = blowing it to a million bits in the name of it was fast an cheap.

so what is your first step that has all 3?

autronic: subaru wrx 1994 1996 replacment board = fast cheap reliable + a pinch of sex drugs and rock and roll
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

How is 2 grand cheap?

Plus, by itself its going to do dick all. You need at least another 2 grand to get any decent results from it.
Josh222
First Gear

Post by Josh222 »

Thank you for the information so far, I have much reading to do. I have one last question for you guys, I will hopefully have about a $1500 budget to spend on this car in parts. What would be the best bang for the buck in terms of things to look for with $1500 to spend. I have just finished high school and plan on going back for an extra year and there is not one Subaru at my school. I will have the only Subaru and I want to make sure I can represent properly and keep those freaking Honda's(nothing against the cars just what the idiots do to them) in there place as the fastest one is a GSR Integra, it is bad my school is so riced out :? . Thanks agian, Josh
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I'll tell you that I'm 19, I just installed a TMIC and turbo from an 06 wrx, this is my first turbo car... And I freakin love it! I smash on my car so hard in gravel, mud, snow ( i'm in alaska) AND there isn't a honda up here that can touch my car without race gas. Well, there is one turbo RSX, and a crazy NSX but I don't count those. lol oh The entire car, build, and install cost me $1500 with an SAFC-2 and full three inch exhaust, turbo, intercooler, samco y-pipe, yada yada yada.
Kickin' it old-school.