Plug and play HID conversion for early legacy(and others)

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

are you guys on crack or something?

It's illegal to put an hid bulb in a halogen housing because you'll blind everyone else on the road. Any sort of retrofit is generally illegal because most people aren't going to take the time or spend the money or even be able to do it right.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

its not illegal in the zoo, and how are they going to enforce that anywhere with more cars in our nation than people, ( i think, please be nice to me)

and if its illegal, WHY are audi's and other cars that come stock with them allowed to be sold in the us of a?
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

oh, and i did it and i did it right. :smt116
id show you a picture but i still have'nt figured out how to post pics yet
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I'm not sure how I can explain this any more clearly.

Cars with hids oem have special reflector housings for those bulbs so there is a sharp cutoff and glare doesn't shine up into the eyes of other drivers.

When you take an hid bulb that's been glued onto a halogen base, the light ends up going all over the place and directly into the eyes of all the drivers around you.

By the way, your cheap ebay "xenons" are just a tinted halogen ricer bulb.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

edited for beatersubie

Post by SubaruNation »

ok
Last edited by SubaruNation on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

SubaruNation wrote:whoa ok chris crocker...
so what?
i dont give a $hi7
i guess im on crack :-D

answer this question oh master of hatred-----> if its illegal, WHY are audi's and other cars that come stock with them allowed to be sold in the us of a?

educate us, please

oh, and so what if my "xenons" arent "xenon" they look cool and i like them,
i'm not making fun of you because you like sitting in your room crying, list3ning to country music
and hawthorne heights.

britney will be fine, just stay in your room and everything will be ok
beatersubi wrote:flamers are not appreciated
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

what
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

like I said. An audi has a projector designed to put the light from an HID bulb onto the road and not into other drivers' eyes. An hid bulb in a subaru or any other halogen reflector will blind everyone around you.

Your tinted blue bulbs are going to decrease light output and you will not be able to see as well.

If you would like to read more about this instead of posting "nuh uh I don't believe you quit whining," I suggest you go here:

www.danielsternlighting.com

and check out these articles:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... d/bad.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html
SP-Boxer
First Gear

Post by SP-Boxer »

Why do you think you know everything about HID? These sets are very decent kits. They cost around 300 dollars.

My HID lights give the same result as the original halogeen lights. They measured them and adjusted them on the right height!

I do NOT blind other people.
They are JUST AS LEGAL as the halogen lights.

But it looks like you just don't want to believe :? No one is using crack. No one is blinded. Well, except for you...
"I feel Legacy"
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Wow. I do believe the dutchman just put his finger in your dike.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

:roll:

Send the ECE or your ministry of transportation an e-mail and ask them about it if you really want to not believe me.

In addition to all the reasons I've listed, they're also illegal simply because the ECE has not tested those bulbs with those lenses and reflectors. Can you get away with it? yeah maybe I guess. Should you? No.

Why do I know so much about this? because I've actually taken the time to educate myself about lighting and have read the regulations.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

So, jamal, if someone is able to retrofit better lights into their car safely, without causing any danger to anyone else or themself, should they not do it soley because their gov't hasen't tested that configuration and deems it illegal?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Possibly, but I don't think anyone can actually do that. Custom built housings with retrofitted projectors is a good start, but even then, they do not have the self leveling or self cleaning functions that reduce glare. Without those features and a proper HID reflector, you will, without a doubt, be irritating and potentially unsafe to other cars.

I don't think anyone quite understands that an HID arc produces THREE TIMES the light output of a 55w halogen filament with only 35w. If any of that light gets reflected up at another driver, it's basically the equivalent of high beams with an extra set of 100w driving lights.

All I've done is explain why these lights are illegal and provided better options. If you would like to argue, please bring up some evidence contrary to the things I have said. So far I've ignored the personal attacks.
Last edited by jamal on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Goodlord, I mean, I thought Vikash had moved on... Guess I was wrong!

Since the gov has not approved the E-Code lights that we all so desperately want, does that mean we shouldnt use them even if they are aimed properly?

And I must say that personal attacks are juvenile and uncalled for. We are NOT NASIOC OR SOME HONDA FORUM!!!!
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

As far as the e-code stuff goes, I'm all for it. I would love to have a set of glass headlights and from what I can tell the ECE regulations are more strict than US standards. Even though the lights haven't been specifically approved, they probably conform to our regulations and might provide better lighting than a set of cleared and properly aimed plastic lights.
SP-Boxer
First Gear

Post by SP-Boxer »

I hate it that I can't argue with you in my own language. That makes it quite difficult for me.
I didn't meant anything as a personal attack on you, please don't understand me wrong. I'm sorry, I can be a little hard sometimes.

Understand, that I don't know the lightbeam that comes out of your plastic headlights. But in our glass headlights HID is not a problem.

Our regulations are very strict, because we have a lot more traffic overhere then you guys. Our government approves aftermarket HID kits in any car that was bought before January 1st 2007.
Cars bought after that date need auto levelling and washer system.

Like you, I did a lot of searchouts before I bought a kit. I sold 21 of these kits on the Dutch Subaru club. No one DIDN'T pass the test that is requierd!

I have a picture zoomed from the box of this HID kit. Do I have to say more???
"I feel Legacy"
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

tris91ricer wrote:Wow. I do believe the dutchman just put his finger in your dike.

HA HA HA HA i cont believe you just said that, thats awesome +10

ha ha :lol:
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Nice... Real Nice :D
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
jilo860
First Gear

Post by jilo860 »

what jamal says is correct but hes not telling the whole story. its illegal to put projectors or hids behind a fluted lens because it scatters the light incorrectly which will blind oncoming drivers.

i also own a 95 240sx and there arent many options for lighting. people love hids and sometimes use the german glass lenses for looks.
thats all there was.
but a guy named spencer on 240sxforums made new clear lenses that have no fluting. they replace the fluted lens, which is taken off by heating the glue. then you retrofit the hid and use the new lens.
there is no bad cutoff at all and the beam is crisp. they also look tits.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/g ... MG0570.jpg
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6061/00000821qp6.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/ge ... Medium.jpg
vacuum table to form the lens
http://photos-315.ak.facebook.com/photo ... 5_3524.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 9_full.jpg
prototypes
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 3_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 4_full.jpg
how they look on car
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106 ... lvia/4.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/ge ... 4Large.jpg
http://streetneeds.com/uploads/auser/headlights010.JPG
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

You do all get what Jamal is trying to say, right? 'Cuz I understand it very clearly. You cannot retrofit an HID setup into a housing with a reflector meant for a halogen bulb. The physics of the lights are too different. BUT, if one were to modify the housing to properly accommodate the HID (ie, no halogen reflector) then it's fair game for modified lighting and might actually meet DOT and safety standards.
Thanks for noticing my snide comment. :)
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Those 240 lights look great! I thought of vacuum forming lenses myself, but thought it would be too much work and would only make sense if I were making a bunch to sell and I didn't think I'd be able to move that many. Did he use acrylic instead of polycarbonate? I assume he did as poly is a PITA to bend. Acrylic isn't as impact resistant, but is generally capable of better clarity (rather insignificant) and can be polished out better when they get scratched and pitted. I was stuck welding in polcarbonate since that was what Subaru used and I had to reuse the plastic lens frame. Where did the HID set come from?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jilo860
First Gear

Post by jilo860 »

yea the lenses are great i have a set for my car. as for the hid projectors i beleive they are tsx ones.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

jilo860 wrote:yea the lenses are great i have a set for my car. as for the hid projectors i beleive they are tsx ones.
Your car is a...

...post-facelift legacy?

Got any pics?
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

^^^^ Um I think he has that for his 240, not leg
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dam i need to make my own headlights.
those look SICK!

time to start drawing... :-D