Newbie with an engine install problem

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Newbie with an engine install problem

Post by subawhatsubawho »

I purchased a new engine for my legacy and I can't seem to get it to line up properly. It was together for the most part but would not lide in that extra inch or so. I was reading some of the other posts regarding engine installation and they were very helpfull but no matter what I do I can't get it to go all the way.

The vehicle is an automatic, I did take the torque converter off the old engine and swap it over to the new. Both were auto engines with the flex plate.

I was thinking about pulling the transmision out, putting the engine on it and then re-installing it. Would this be easier in the long run? I still have my power steering and A/C hooked up in the engine bay but they both work so I couldn't see removing them.

This is a great site you have here. I found it while doing a google search fo info on my vehicle.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

You have to make sure the torque converter is reinstalled all the way into the transmission. It's a pain in the butt to do. Just keep rotating and pushing it back into the trans. It should line right up to the edge of the tranny when it's fully installed. Least, that's what it sounds like the problem is.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Holy crap that was a fast reply.

I jacked the transmission up so that the motor mount bolts would't hit , was I right by doing so? When you say rotate do you mean "stick a socket on the crank nut and keep turning?" If so does it matter which way I turn it?

I also learned the hardway that you have to take the radiator out when removing a subaru engine.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yes, turn the engine a little so the splines will line up. Play with the alignment a little with the jack and engine lift also. Sometimes it helps to pull the engine back off completely and then try again rather than fighting it. When it's right it pretty much just slides right on.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Hey, STOP I had the same problem putting my engine in. When you pulled the TC off you probably pulled the pump shaft out a little also. Either you didn't mention it or you didn't realize it. Read this
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=

there are 2 links which show the little clip that I'm refering to. Read that whole post and you will figure it out
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

My Dumb ass pulled the saft a little bit out because it was already a slight bit out when I got the old engine off. So you think I should back the engine off and see if it is the pump shaft.

I don't think I understand the clip you are refering to. Do I just give the shaft a few spins and it should just "click." I'm going to go try it now and see what progress I make. I will check back in a few minutes.

Thanks
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

it will not go in by just turning it trust me! I messed with this for days literally. Pull the engine and pull the TC off and pull the shaft out and make sure you find the clip, its in the links to the FSM's. Assemble the pump shaft to the TC with the clip and then slide the shaft and TC back into the tranny as one unit and do the spinning thing so it all lines up. trust me on this one

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics.cgi/tc_1.jpg
The clip is on the outer shaft numbered as #10
the clip is #8 on that page

pull #10 right out of the tranny and use clip #8 to clip it to the TC then slide both right back in as a whle like I said above
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

You mean I have to unbolt the TC from the flex plate? If I do that then how do I get it back together once the engine and tranny are mated?

I just went back outside and I see the clip you are refering to in the TC...but how do I get it out? It looks like a ring toward the back of the converter. From what I saw there was no access to the other end of the TC.

Do I hammer the TC onto the shaft? Wil this mess up the pump in the tranny?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Ohhhhhh, yeah you messed that up pretty good lol. you need to unbolt the TC from the flex plate when you pull the engine, so if you are trying to put it back in while the TC is already attached to the engine your never going to be able to rotate it enough to line all the splines up. ok let me tell you what to do here.

1. remove the TC from the flex plate on the motor.
2. remove the pump shaft from the tranny.
3. attach the clip to the pump shaft (it only fits on the end that goes toward the TC.
4. then stick the pump shaft with attached clip into the TC until it clicks. it will be very subtle. give it a slight tug just to make sure it is clipped well.
5. now you will have the TC with the pump shaft attached to it. slide everything carefully back into the trans rotating the whole thing slightly until it clicks all the way in.
6. now put the engine in and attach the flex plate to the TC either from the gap at the bottom behind the oil pan or the cover in the top of the tranny.

mods should move this to the drivetrain section
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Yes that's what I was talking about. I had figured you unbolted the TC from the flexplate :). I was talking about doing #5 of what mike explained.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

How do I get the clip out? If you look in the TC whole you will see a solid ring towards the back. It is not a snap ring or anything of the sort. If I slide the shaft into the TC it stops at the ring. I am ssuming it is supposed to because if it went any further it would slide past the teeth. As it is now the teeth in there line up prefectly. MAybe you guys have this confused with something else. If I take the TC off the FP there is still no way to the TC apart so I can retrieve that ring/clip..or is there???

Just tell me how to get it out and I will handle the rest. I checked it real well and it appears to be a solid ring. Not like a snap ring or C-clip. It is waaaayyy bacj there towards the front of the TC.

Thanks again for your help.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I know when I was installing my 2nd AT, we had to crank the pulley in order to turn the FP enough to get at the bolts. We used sockets and went thru the viewing hole in the trans.. it's time consuming, but at least you get it right, and don't have to deal with a bunch of other honkey..
Good Luck!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

You can do this one of two ways.
1. You can remove the TC from the engine and put it on the tranny as mentioned and then tighten the plate from the front through the hole on the bell housing of the motor.

OR
2. You can look into the face of the tranny and find the alignment points. There are two slots on it that correspond to two slots on the TC. Once you have found the orientation of the tranny, mark the outside of the TC and rotate the crank until they line up. Make sure the tranny is in neutral and it goes together easier.

Lastly, check your tranny seal before you go any further. We borked one up pretty badly recently trying to force a misaligned TC in there. If you have crunched it, replace the seal before you go any further...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Oh crap! I never lned anything up and I put the engine in last night. I wondered why it was so hard going in.

Does anyone have a picture of the alignment marks???

Thanks for all your help guys...looks like I have to back her out again..
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Anybody? I really need hslp with this ASAP.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

What engine is going into the Legacy?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

it's a 2.2 auto. It has 110K on it from what I am told so I hope to get many many miles from it.
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

magicmike wrote:it will not go in by just turning it trust me! I messed with this for days literally. Pull the engine and pull the TC off and pull the shaft out and make sure you find the clip, its in the links to the FSM's. Assemble the pump shaft to the TC with the clip and then slide the shaft and TC back into the tranny as one unit and do the spinning thing so it all lines up. trust me on this one

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics.cgi/tc_1.jpg
The clip is on the outer shaft numbered as #10
the clip is #8 on that page

pull #10 right out of the tranny and use clip #8 to clip it to the TC then slide both right back in as a whle like I said above

Hey I've got a similar issue at the moment. I would like to see the images but the links don't work. Are they posted any where else? Pretty much I can't get the TC lined up so that it'll push back. PITA that thing LOL.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
speedoboy31
First Gear

Post by speedoboy31 »

i've been doing auto repair full time for about 12 years----i've learned a lot during that time and still continue to learn. it's been my experience that if you try to mate the engine and trans without the torque conv all the way back, you'll break the drive ears off the a/t pump. put the t/c all the way into the trans first(usually it'clunk 2-3 times as you spin it-----you shouldn't be able to get your fingers behind it---then it's all the way in) then mate engine to trans. i've seen another tech break the a/t pump trying to force them together.clean corrosion from dowels first and as previously stated, if its right, it'll fall together gracefully.