Plug and play HID conversion for early legacy(and others)

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Yeah those do look sweet. Hmm how to do that....
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

tris91ricer wrote:
evolutionmovement wrote: The thing you need to make sure of is that you make a V groove where the pieces meet so the rod has some penetration.
Room for rod penetration: Check.
Mmmwhaa ha ha....... :-D
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

For anyone still rockin' yellow headlights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1170-ACRYLIC-POLISH ... dZViewItem

This is the stuff I use to polish the plastic headlights. Basically ultra-fine sandpaper, steps up to 6000 grit. You wet-sand the lights, or any other clear plastic items (CDs, DVDs !!) that are scratched or clouded.
'Course, I get it at work.... :twisted:

What's really F*'d up is the results you get on Ebay when you type in Micro Mesh... try it!
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Too much money - you can do it with a sheet or two of 2000 grit and some water. The problem is that the yellowing will return as the UV protective coating is gone. You can use UV clear coat, but I would think you'd need to put several good coats and maybe reapply it every year. I wouldn't bother with polish too much, just enough to get it clear, as polycarbonate doesn't clean up as well as acrylic (you'll still have some pitting from sand blasting).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

The way I clear mine is to apply a moderate amount of chrome polish to the lens face, wipe on/wipe off. You have to reapply every 3mo or so, longer if you follow up with clear coating and or wax. Used this on the neon for years with no ill effects.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
denver_whitest185
First Gear

Post by denver_whitest185 »

for those not wanting to wire in HID balists or just don't have the budget, look at getting some 4100k-4500k h4 bulbs. thats the most optimal light range to maximize visablitiby.

i just got some MTEC super white 4350k headlights ($20 shipped). installed both in 10 minutes. the low beams are a bit brighter, and the high beams are much brighter. im going to be sanding/polishing my lights this week. im not sure if the clearing will increase light output by much. since im still disappointed with low beam output, right now.im going see if i can find some driving lights that i'll mount up in the holes where the JDM fogs go. it will still be cheaper than HID's or glass EDM lights.

just a note, if your looking at Mtec's, get the 2x style, since the 4x's are not street legal, and they will also draw more power than stock. that shouldn't be a problem, but they might short something. if i had a bigger budget, i would get some raybrigs, but those are $70 shipped at the cheapest.
1994 maroon Subaru Legacy SS sedan
1990 white Toyota Celica Alltrac - well modded :D
Bring the track to you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXfUbFR-x7g
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I set an e-mail to philips:
Philips Lighting answer: wrote: Dear Sir,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. HID "kits" are not manufactured or for sale, nor are they DOT compliant in North America.
jamal wrote: Question
Hello, I have recently seen philips hid lamp kits that are made to fit in halogen headlight housings. I was wondering if that is actually a product you produce and if it conforms to ECE regulations.

Regards,
Peter
So uh, yeah, those "Philips" hids are not actually manufactured by philips. I sent the same e-mail to Philips UK and am still waiting for a response.
SP-Boxer
First Gear

Post by SP-Boxer »

I never said those were Philips kits. It only has a Philips IC inside. Offcourse I know that Philips does not make HID kits. I live in Philips city half the time! And several persons in my family work at Philips. So I know the company pretty good. I assume that you are familiar with the fact that Philips is a dutch brand. You know, those people who use crack all the time.

But the picture I showed you says that the kit is conform ECE regulations. Who am I, or who are you, to doubt that?
"I feel Legacy"
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

IT"S NOT A BIG DEAL!!!!!
holy mother...
everyone just chill out.
they're just lights
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

No, lights ARE a big deal. There's no reason to use your safety against other drivers. If you were blind, would you buy a longer white cane to spite the other blind men, nevermind the fact that they're unable to accurately compare?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That would be awesome! If I were a blind guy, I'd learn to feel energy like a Shaolin monk and use it to inflict a reign of terror on the other blind people so that I could be their master. Then I would teach them to move by feeling the energy of everything. I would be the blind leading the blind and my army of night-fighting supermen would conquer the world!
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

tris91ricer wrote:No, lights ARE a big deal.
I concur. How many times have you been in front of some asshat in a lifted truck with not only her un-adjusted headlights beaming right into your rearview, but also w/ her foglights on when its completely clear out? Or some Paul Walker wannabe ricer with an oversized, unpainted bodykit with one loose headlight that seems like its aimed intentionally into your mirror. I know it happens to me at least once every day on the way to work. And what can you do, other than dim your own mirror? Lets not be one of those people.

-end rant.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

right...., but i just don't think that its as big of a deal that we need to argue over it.

i hate people with bright lights.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.