Stock WRX TD04 turbo on a Legacy Turbo

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

If you reconnect the stock sensors/solenoid to the appropriate vacuum sources/wastegate actuator, yes, you can run stock boost. I currently have mine set up that way and it has been running fine for ~5k mi.

Curiously, I normally see ~10psi (from td04) under load. I thought the stock boost was supposed to be 7-8psi. I'm not complaining, but I don't know why its doing this. Maybe its the top mount.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

beatersubi, you're probably confusing the ECU. You can't run the stock boost control with the TD04's wastegate actuator, because the TD04's actuator is calibrated to 9-10 psi (yes, higher than our stock maximum boost level) whereas the stock turbo's actuator is calibrated to 6 psi.

An intercooler will actually reduce the boost pressure reading at the manifold if all else is kept equal, because it represents a pressure drop.

It sounds like your ECU hasn't given up on trying to control boost and so is bleeding some pressure off the wastegate signal.

What I would recommend to anyone running a TD04 is to do what Arctic Assassian suggests if you want to run wastegate boost (which is close to the boost level of a stock Legacy turbo), or use an aftermarket boost controller if you want to run more boost.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

Post by dirtyhandssubaru555 »

so the blue coupler isnt working out so well. i cant really run any amount of boost. the coupler just pops out. i can tighten the piss out of the hose clamp and nothing. i think i need to put a metal sleve in side the pastic intake tube.
my girlfriend finaly found out that i spent more money and time on my car then her. she was kind pist to say the least.
92ss, tdo4, wrx stage 1 clutch and 9.5 pound flywheel, sti springs, k&n panel filter, desnorkus
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Pops out of what?

I was assuming you stuck a piece of steel pipe or something in that flexible elbow -- that would simulate the stock elbow.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

the big end of the inlet tube blows off of the blue coupler. i called in sick to work so i could work on my car but i ended up being to sick to do any thing.
my girlfriend finaly found out that i spent more money and time on my car then her. she was kind pist to say the least.
92ss, tdo4, wrx stage 1 clutch and 9.5 pound flywheel, sti springs, k&n panel filter, desnorkus
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

At the throttle body? What your going to have to do is get a steel band that you can slip into the inlet tube, then put the coupler around the inlet so that when you clamp it down, it has the band to clamp against. I'm fairly sure I know what your problem is, can you post any pics so I can draw on them to show you what I mean.
Kickin' it old-school.
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

the black tube is what blows off and my thought was just to put like 1/2 or 3/4in wide piece of piep inside so it has some rigity. i can get another pic of them apart if you needImage
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, yeah, you definitely need a piece of pipe in there. The black pipe is meant to act like a hose, not like a pipe, if that makes any sense.
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

heres what i did, but now the coupler slips off the tb. f-ing mother*ing cheap autozone crap! Image
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

i'm running waste gate pressure and im seeing almost stock psi. like high 7s low 8s and thats just on flat ground. i can feel a big diffence over the old vf11, i want to see what 10 or 12psi would feel like.
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hm, your plumbing must be fairly restrictive... You should be seeing closer to 9 psi.
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

on waste gate pressure? i thought it would about 5psi, no?
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The TD04's wastegate actuator's calibrated to about 9 psi.
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

well i did disconnect the waste gate actuator, maybe i didn't get it tighten enough and its not staying closed all the was. i do see a few pounds differnce time to time like around 3 to 4 psi diff. sometimes it looks like im almost makeing ten. how could i free up my intake?
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Do you still have the stock boost control solenoid hooked up? That'll make things weird and unpredictable.

Yes, if you disassembled it and stuff, maybe you put it together with a different amount of tension. I suppose even the different mounting holes might make some difference.

You could free up the intake by reducing the sharpness and number of bends and reducing the number of transitions between pipes and hoses. So your current setup isn't actually that good, but at this low boost and airflow it's probably not a huge restriction. You could check by comparing the boost reading you have in the manifold to the reading you get if you hook the gauge to the compressor outlet nipple.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Glad you got it hooked up right.
Kickin' it old-school.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Not sure if they have the same actuator, but my JDM 90* inlet TD04 boosted 8psi of actuator boost.

Glad to see the TD04 worked for you DHS555 (try double clamping the part that is blowing off).
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

you can get good power out of the TD04L for daily driving.
I did this swap into my Impreza and had full headerback exhaust, WRX TD04L/TMIC, TXS FCD, TXS MBC, boosting avg 15psi and at 15psi I made 178whp 244wtrq on a mustang dyno.

The torque drops off after its peak at 3600rpms. HP holds above 150whp from 3600-redline.
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

well things seem to be holding up fine after a 3 or 4k miles. seeing a good 9 psi. i think i did have a minor leak, but since im waiting a week for my new flywheel(9.5pounds) i took the intake tube apart and got it to fit better and i think leak free!
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

vrg3 wrote:beatersubi, you're probably confusing the ECU. You can't run the stock boost control with the TD04's wastegate actuator, because the TD04's actuator is calibrated to 9-10 psi (yes, higher than our stock maximum boost level) whereas the stock turbo's actuator is calibrated to 6 psi.
Well that's not correct. There's been a variation in WGs on the Subaru TD04L since the inception of 2002. Remember, that same turbo has graced various motors from '02-07 model turbo Subarus. The TD04 that I had purchased last year was sprung to 6-7 psi only. Cobb also confirms this as well.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

I think Vikash was generalizing the 03-07 wrx td04, which has a wastegate boost of 9-10 psi.
BTW I got to crawl around in an 08 STI at the dealership I work at. I'll try to steal my dads camera to take some pics. It's got a vf-48.
Kickin' it old-school.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

tmarcel wrote:
vrg3 wrote:beatersubi, you're probably confusing the ECU. You can't run the stock boost control with the TD04's wastegate actuator, because the TD04's actuator is calibrated to 9-10 psi (yes, higher than our stock maximum boost level) whereas the stock turbo's actuator is calibrated to 6 psi.
Well that's not correct. There's been a variation in WGs on the Subaru TD04L since the inception of 2002. Remember, that same turbo has graced various motors from '02-07 model turbo Subarus. The TD04 that I had purchased last year was sprung to 6-7 psi only. Cobb also confirms this as well.
So your saying that pre-'02 is sure to be 9psi?
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Thats not a bad way to do it. With my SS I have a 90 degree elbow on the compressor intake, with a 2 inch metal pipe then it goes to the black boot, black boot to a custom adapter with the breather connections and pcv valve connections. for the compressor outlet I have a samco tmic hose kit that has been cut after the 90 degree, extended by two inches again by a metal pipe then goes into the 02 wrx tmic. I'm about to install a fcd and kick up to 15psi currently spiking at 15psi. I've been running it for 7 months and still pulling strong. About 200whp