What problems from wrong spark plug gap?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

shemoves
Second Gear

What problems from wrong spark plug gap?

Post by shemoves »

I may have made the gap on a set of spark plugs too close...what problems would that usually cause?
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

less power.
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

LOL. Would it run rich/lean? Higher/lower EGTs? More/less resistance to detonation?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

it won't change how rich or lean your car is. However the larger the gap, the greater the chance of misfire.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

you will probably run richer because you have a smaller spark so incomplete combustion will happen as well.

"A small kernel will make the engine run as though the ignition timing was retarded, and a large one as though the timing was advanced."
the quote is from WIKI so take it for what it is.
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It depends on the cylinder pressure. A higher pressure will benefit from a reduced gap.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

benefit might be a strong word, a narrow gap will be harder to blow out.
a narrower gap will be easier on the coils.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

OK. The higher the cylinder pressure, the harder it is to ionize the air for the spark to jump the gap. A longer distance can cause a delay in firing or a miss altogether.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

What are you guys talking about? How do I gap the plug correctly? I just set my torque wrench to 15ft-lb's and tighten away!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

With a $1 plug gapping tool. Some plugs come pre-gapped, but you should probably check them even so.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Oh god!! No wonder my car feels so angry!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Most spark plugs are pregapped from the factory these days... Most of us like to use NGK BKR6E-11 plugs, right? The "11" means "1.1 millimeter gap."

So you generally don't need to adjust the gap at all.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Every BKR6E11 I've ever installed is gapped right around .043 from the factory.

I usually run a .040 gap, but I honestly would probably do better to run a bigger gap. I'm nonturbo and stock, so running a smaller gap doesn't do me much good. Maybe that has something to do with why my engine pings on 89 octane.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

Gap? Just slam those bitches home with an impact right out of the box. Gapping is for suckers.
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

206er wrote:benefit might be a strong word, a narrow gap will be harder to blow out.
a narrower gap will be easier on the coils.
The concept that high boost can blow out a spark is a farce, lets set that record straight. Plugs don't blow out, the ignition may lack the power to jump a spark across the dense air (an insulator) that is in the cylinder during scenarios with extremely high cylinder pressures. similar to what evolutionmovement's post says. Nothing in this situation is getting "blown out"
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

SemperGuard wrote:Gap? Just slam those bitches home with an impact right out of the box. Gapping is for suckers.
Don't expect me to retap the spark plug threads in your heads after you strip them out. Not without some money involved anyway.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

SemperGuard wrote:Gap? Just slam those bitches home with an impact right out of the box. Gapping is for suckers.
:lol: Don't read the labels on each plug either, they should all be what you want. No time for anti-seize either, just get those things in there! :P
90 L+ wgn
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

subyluvr2212 wrote:
Don't expect me to retap the spark plug threads in your heads after you strip them out. Not without some money involved anyway.
I wont expect you to because it wont happen. If anything the insulator will crack.

Anti-seize is for wimps.

Suckers and wimps I say!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Your spark plugs shouldn't be in the engine long enough for you to need anti-seize.

Mr. SemperGuard, you do understand our heads are aluminum right?

I'd be more than happy to demonstrate on your engine how easy it is to ruin aluminum threads ;)

I like how you're calling people wimps, and then using an impact wrench to tighten spark plugs :)

*Formerly DerFahrer*

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I never use antiseize, just a little oil on the threads and I've never had them stick.
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Your spark plugs shouldn't be in the engine long enough for you to need anti-seize.

Mr. SemperGuard, you do understand our heads are aluminum right?

I'd be more than happy to demonstrate on your engine how easy it is to ruin aluminum threads ;)

I like how you're calling people wimps, and then using an impact wrench to tighten spark plugs :)
Baby you should know me by now. If one of us ever ends up on each others coasts, I will gladly slam multiple spark plugs home with an impact for you :D. Repeating as much as you like. Heads, block, tranny, whatever. It's all aluminum. Slam it all home with the impact. Of course if you want to use a 1" impact with the side grip and really go to town of course you'll kill something.

We should end this before the thread gets closed.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'll just open it back up...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

vrg3 wrote:Most spark plugs are pregapped from the factory these days... Most of us like to use NGK BKR6E-11 plugs, right? The "11" means "1.1 millimeter gap."

If you guys are looking to push things a bit further (larger than stock turbos and more boost), I would definitely not run the NGK -11 plugs on turbo motors. That's far too much gap for boosted applications running decent sized turbos and a bit of boost. Sure, you can do it, but it'll put a lot of strain on your ignition system and compromise misfires as well.

On decently modded Subarus, I typically run NGK BKR7EIX and even the 8's for cars making a bit more power. These plugs are gapped at .030" out of the box. If the Subaru layout wasn't so dificult to work on (well at least on Imprezas) I would try pushing the gaps out a little. But it works great like this and no worries. Plus, Iridium performs as well as copper and has the maintenance life span of platinum.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

tmarcel wrote:
vrg3 wrote:Most spark plugs are pregapped from the factory these days... Most of us like to use NGK BKR6E-11 plugs, right? The "11" means "1.1 millimeter gap."

If you guys are looking to push things a bit further (larger than stock turbos and more boost), I would definitely not run the NGK -11 plugs on turbo motors. That's far too much gap for boosted applications running decent sized turbos and a bit of boost. Sure, you can do it, but it'll put a lot of strain on your ignition system and compromise misfires as well.

On decently modded Subarus, I typically run NGK BKR7EIX and even the 8's for cars making a bit more power. These plugs are gapped at .030" out of the box. If the Subaru layout wasn't so dificult to work on (well at least on Imprezas) I would try pushing the gaps out a little. But it works great like this and no worries. Plus, Iridium performs as well as copper and has the maintenance life span of platinum.

the 6 -7 -8 you refer to is plug temperature, not gap. It refers to the rate in which the plug can dissipate heat to the head. Unless you have a preignition problem and believe the plug is the hot spot, or you have a fouling problem, there is no reason to change the plug temperature from stock.

Hotter plugs resist fouling, but can become to hot and cause preignition.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

sammydafish wrote:
the 6 -7 -8 you refer to is plug temperature, not gap. It refers to the rate in which the plug can dissipate heat to the head. Unless you have a preignition problem and believe the plug is the hot spot, or you have a fouling problem, there is no reason to change the plug temperature from stock.

Hotter plugs resist fouling, but can become to hot and cause preignition.
Thanks for letting me know this FACT about heat range and plugs :shock: What part above didn't I make clear. I said that a -11 plug was the wrong way to go for boosted motors. I said nothing about NGK's "6-7-8" heat range being a problem. You make more power, you need a cooler plug - period :roll: The plugs I recommend are .030" gap out of the box. Choose the heat range according to predicted power output - pretty much common knowledge.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap