Wanting to turbo my 91 legacy L 2.2

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

forrestmsport
In Neutral

Post by forrestmsport »

Just come across this thread and figured this may be the thread to ask.
I am looking into buying a 90 2.2 NA legacy but have a 93 turbo also, i am considering droping the whole turbo motor trans ect off the turbo onto the 2.2. My question is will the NA ECU support the turbo motor, how many plugs has the ECU?
The reason i ask is swapping the looms over is far too much hard work and i want to keep the stock NA loom if possible.
Thanks for any help,
Steve
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do a search in the electrical forum. There are some threads, including by me which address what needs to be done. I addressed this when I did my ej22t swap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

FYI: Unless you're running the stock turboback, you will boost creep with a stock VF-11.

Ask me, I know; I can't get more than half throttle input in 2nd gear and higher or it creeps; it's really bad in 4th and 5th; I'm running wastegate boost with a downpipe that dumps to atmo (still finishing exhaust)

wastegate pressure is 5psi, but the gate isn't big enough - the stock system relies on backpressure behind the turbo to keep the turbo pressure in check; I've hit 11-12PSI so far.

I had to take a c-clamp to the dome on my spare fuel pressure regulator and sink it in a little to increase static pressure in the fuel rails to keep from detting so much; I also run 93 octane (none of that winter/ethanol mix blend shit)

on really cold days, I can open the throttle in 2nd gear and hit 5psi instantly, if I'm more than 50% throttle at about 3500 rpms the boost creeps to 8psi and you can hear the engine detting and stumbling; if I'm easy on it and back off till the rpms get higher I can open the throttle all the way up and run it out to redline without detting; boost press is about 8psi in 2nd, 9 psi in 3rd, 10-11 in 4th and 12 in 5th.

it's part of the fuel map and the MAF voltages; last I checked I was still under 5 volts at 12 psi but the increased pressure in the cylinders is just too much.

You will run into this problem moreso than me, I've got a stock N/A ECU, an autometer boostgauge, and the EJ22T block - the EJ22 N/A block will be more keen to build boost faster and overboost.

I may look at trying to put the 370cc injectors in again and seeing if the ECU will learn around the increased flow.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's weird.......I ran the stock vf11 for a little while, and while it did creep a pound or two in the higher gears, I really didn't have any issues otherwise.

Scuzzy, what are you using for boost control?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Legacy777 wrote:That's weird.......I ran the stock vf11 for a little while, and while it did creep a pound or two in the higher gears, I really didn't have any issues otherwise.

Scuzzy, what are you using for boost control?
just running wastegate boost.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's why. The stock boost control will help keep the boost where it's set then just plumbing the boost pressure to the wastegate.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Legacy777 wrote:That's why. The stock boost control will help keep the boost where it's set then just plumbing the boost pressure to the wastegate.
I can't figure out how that's supposed to work; the stock boost control just bleeds pressure off of the line forcing the wastegate to open later. it can't add pressure (over what the turbocharger is making) and make the gate open sooner...

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

scuzzy wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:That's why. The stock boost control will help keep the boost where it's set then just plumbing the boost pressure to the wastegate.
I can't figure out how that's supposed to work; the stock boost control just bleeds pressure off of the line forcing the wastegate to open later. it can't add pressure (over what the turbocharger is making) and make the gate open sooner...
I guess you're right. However all I can tell you is from my experience I experienced a little boost creep, but it doesn't sound like what you experienced.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

ok bossdoc83 mr. piggyback ecu has no clue what he is talking about becuase i bet that na legacy with turbo runs like a bitch doesnt it i have 94 ej22t heads with an ej22 block and its crazy
ej22t hybrid, 3.5" downpipe, Gl turbo intake/desnorkel 9psi DEAD
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

scuzzy-
I remember reading somewhere that the ECU can trim fuel +/- 20%. If that is true then the biggest injectors it can "control" would be about 325cc.

You can get an adjustable FPR to lower fuel base pressure until the 370's behave more like 320's & see how the car runs, but you have already increased base pressure so your stock injectors should be squirting more than they would stock.

If you are not running a FMU you should try one out (get a vortech so you can change the on boost fuel rise from 3:1-12:1(fuel pressure:boost pressure increase)), that should help your on boost AFR's & I think it will work better than 370's with no EM (370's with EM would be better than a FMU if tuned properly in my opinion).

The FMU depends on fuel pressure to work (which is its limiting factor) & requires a good fuel pump - Walbro 255HPHV to get the most out of it.
Last edited by BXSS on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Sorry for the double post, but I had no probs with overboosting on a VF11 running off the wastegate (would hold 5psi steady with a 3" catless exhaust on the car).

Scuzzy's unstable boost sounds weird, but familiar to me.

We used a on/off fitting "t'd" into the wastgate line as a boost controller (GHETTO bleed-valve) on the Starlet we run.
It does increase boost from the base pressure of 9.7psi on the HKS wastegate, but boost is not stable gear to gear
1st -18psi
2nd - 22psi
3rd - 25psi
4th - 28psi
I have a Greddy Profec A lined up for use on the car now.

Could a leak on the actuator line, or a bad actuator be causing the crazy boost levels????
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

douglas vincent wrote:OK, as one that has boosted a stock NA 2.2, here i my view.

No cels.

Anyboost over 5 psi and it ran out of fuel.

I would run an intercooler no matter what, even though you probably don't need it. But it is a big factor in keeping a piston together.
agreed! 10psi + stock NA timing + hot day = broken pistons ..... trust me :lol:

put quite a few miles on it with about 6 psi and no air to the intercooler though.... my original setup was seriously ghetto rigged too
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

sammydafish wrote:
douglas vincent wrote:OK, as one that has boosted a stock NA 2.2, here i my view.

No cels.

Anyboost over 5 psi and it ran out of fuel.

I would run an intercooler no matter what, even though you probably don't need it. But it is a big factor in keeping a piston together.
agreed! 10psi + stock NA timing + hot day = broken pistons ..... trust me :lol:

put quite a few miles on it with about 6 psi and no air to the intercooler though.... my original setup was seriously ghetto rigged too
How did you guys go about fueling under boost?

I run 5psi daily & run 8.5-9psi on special occasions (HKS EVC) on a stock PII 2.2e - 93 octane gas with alky injection & have had no big problems - since it was turbo'd in '04.
Full NA timing no audible knock, EGT's @ around 1300* @ WOT (probe 3-4" from ext. port), spark plugs come out a coffee brown color.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T