Ej22E question

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Ej22E question

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

I have this engine in my Legacy BK wagon however my question is has anyone been successful in turboing the Ej22E N/A? Not for super high psi but something light like 5-10 psi I wont be doing this to my engine I have in my car due to it nearing 199,000

I wont be in any rush but should I find the EJ22E do I need to change the heads to the EJ22T just to turbo?
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Here is a tip--Using the search function on this website, and entering, "turbocharge an ej22", there were nine threads covering that topic. That would be a good place to start reading about it.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I would NEVER do it, otherwise I would not have been blowing engines since 2004!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

^ Just search for any topics that he's posted and you'll find your answer :D
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

Yeah before I made my post here I just searched in "turbo ej22" it brought up a ton of topics but it was not right to the point.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

There is more than one way to skin a cat too. There is no clear cut way to go about it, and costs can vary greatly.

For instance, a friend of mine is running a $200 ebay T3/T4 on his '96 Impreza L 2.2 with a slanty IC and a cheap RRFPR. 10 psi for three years now and makes just over 200whp. His car seems to be a freak of nature. It sounds amazing too with the borla knock-off N/A header and a turbo.

Others haven't been so lucky, and have spent a ton more in the process.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

all the reason why I rather buy a 2nd EJ22E instead of risking blowing up a perfect motor with almost 200,000 miles on it.

200WHP... I'm sure the stock Ej22E with drivetrain loss would only net at best 100WHP?
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I have also been running a ghetto turbo'd 100% stock Phase II ej22e since '04 simple to do....

If your ej22e is dual port don't even bother with swapping heads to Turbo Legacy heads as they do not have roller rockers & have 1MM smaller valves (?-Exhaust) so they'll be a slight downgrade.

I'd think about 90WHP for a stock phase I ej22e
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

Yep I have dual heads what turbo did you use? As I'm not wanting to make crazy power I don't need anything too small and nothing too large and not a lot of money.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I used a Ported TD05, & lowered boost by using a Tial 38mm EWG with 4.5ish psi spring in it - Clipped TD06-20G arrived yesterday ? if that will go on.
I SHOULD have just used a VF11 Actuator as it would have been a cheaper & easy to get base boost levels to 5psi but I guess you live & learn right...

I think you should be fine with a VF11 or TD04 (with VF11 actuator adapted for use on it). I think you'll want to start @ 5psi to begin with.
Remember you will have highish Compression (9.5:1) so a little boost will go a longer way than it would on a low compression set-up.

Here is another 2.2l turbo post with some more tips & pics of my wagon in it.
I was kinda negative in the beginning but warmed up when I remembered how much fun I had turbo'ing my wagon - its also something you'll have pride in building / tuning yourself!
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37042
Last edited by BXSS on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

If you need any aluminum or anything welded my buddy is super reasonable, located in NYC, & is an artist with a welder - TIG or MIG he has both (2 TIGs + 1 MIG actually)!

He welded all the aluminum tubes on my FMIC set-up & he made my single port up-pipe, downpipe, & exhaust.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

^ooo does exhaust work? how about fixing what a shop messed up? I'd have to show you the picture what I really mean... my mid pipe has a rear flange but they wielded the pipe to the rear of the flange of the inner part of the pipe.. it's a pain...
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

BXSS wrote:I used a Ported TD05, & lowered boost by using a Tial 38mm EWG with 4.5ish psi spring in it - Clipped TD06-20G arrived yesterday ? if that will go on.
I SHOULD have just used a VF11 Actuator as it would have been a cheaper & easy to get base boost levels to 5psi but I guess you live & learn right...

I think you should be fine with a VF11 or TD04 (with VF11 actuator adapted for use on it). I think you'll want to start @ 5psi to begin with.
Remember you will have highish Compression (9.5:1) so a little boost will go a longer way than it would on a low compression set-up.

Here is another 2.2l turbo post with some more tips & pics of my wagon in it.
I was kinda negative in the beginning but warmed up when I remembered how much fun I had turbo'ing my wagon - its also something you'll have pride in building / tuning yourself!
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37042
yeah I'm set to doing this I have plans for next month to drive out to PA to check out the junk yards.

one of my other concerns was engine management I think most did stand alones or Emanage? Or PP6?

Also from searching quick the only two ways of lowing the compression was thicker HG or changing the heads? which I don't feel like doing but since it's a 2nd engine and if I have spare parts around....

one thing I find hard to believe is 5 psi gets me in the area of 200WHP? so whats the CHP going to be?

It's going to be a fun summer project to do that's for sure!
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Fabrication buddy is pretty busy & right now as he is redo'ing the cage/frame a full tube framed drag car & has 2 others lined up after this one is done.
So
For simple muffler stuff I think a regular exhaust shop will have to be used as my buddy will not have time for "normal" stuff.
He will happily fab up something extreme when time opens up & has recently done a few 4" (bunch of GT45 Rotarys & a GT42'd 2JZ powered Corolla) + a 5" (Borg Warner'd turbo Rotary) mandrel bent exhaust for some of the drag cars in our area.

Smaller aluminum or stainless TIG welding projects can be squeezed in on the weekends though as these will not take much time!

We also finished a FWD Mirage to AWD EVO III Driveline conversion about 6 weeks ago which involved making the car AWD which was a pain (custom rear x-member & Rear diff mount, highly modded gas tank, custom x-member up front...) + a FMIC setup, Clipped 18G turbo, 3" TBE.
BUT
That little car is a monster!
But now my other bud/owner of the EVOIII wants to build a AWD RB26 Skyline powered 240sx....

Back the the ej22e turbo-
I don't think you will be lowering compression on a ej22e by using ej22t heads.

Where you start with boost & where you end up may not be the same place. Dan said his bud boosts 10psi on to get to the 200WHP area.
5psi done properly should net you about 35-50hp on a highish compression 4 cyl.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

O - as far as E/M there are many options, Dan's friend uses a FMU, I use a FMU + Alky injection/controller.

A local friend of mine uses e-mange blue & made 194WHP on ICS's Dyno @ just 4ish psi on a '05 2.5RS 4EAT with a tweaked GT25R'd AVO turbo kit - which was pretty interesting/impressive.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

What about a RHB5 turbo?
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

1-3-2-4 wrote:What about a RHB5 turbo?
would probably make boost off idle and fall off at like 4k.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

1-3-2-4 wrote:What about a RHB5 turbo?
I have not looked @ this in a while but if you are talking about the VF11 I think it should be fine.
Porting it out should help it breath a bit.
It will not be able to hold higher boost levels to redline, but who cares as you are not gonna be pushing much boost anyway.

By using this turbo you should be able to bolt-on Subaru upgrade turbos if / when the need for an upgrade arises.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T