DIY- Modified Power Steering Pump for Under Manifold Inlet

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92 Rally
First Gear

DIY- Modified Power Steering Pump for Under Manifold Inlet

Post by 92 Rally »

Here is a little DIY that I just did in order to save a few bucks on a new pump. We were thinking about getting a WRX pump to clear our under manifold turbo inlet, but why not just make the stocker work??

Stock pump right off of the car.

Take the 2 10mm bolts off of the reservoir and remove it..

You can now see the pumps inlet hole and seal.

Clamp the reservoir in a vise up-side-down and cut out the mount. It will not come out just yet after its cut.

You also need to grind down the two bosses that stick up on the top of the reservoir.

You can now remove this contraption!

Place in a vise and cut off the two tubes. DO NOT DISCARD!! You will need them later!

You can now clean up the base with a grinder or sanding disk. Might as well try to make it look good! DO NOT grind the center down!!

Fits perfect!

Take one of the tubes that you saved and cut it in half (or however long you feel fit)... Clean it up really nice. Place the rod on the mount and get ready to weld it up! This is going to be the nipple for the remote reservoir!

Mounted up! Dont forget to replace the O-Ring!

I opted to weld a bead at the top and then smooth it down some for a ridge. That is to help the hose stay on. The bolts that I used are M8 x 1.50 at 1" long.

We have a remote reservoir off of a old Mercedes that will be mounted on the frame rail. We are hoping that this pump will create enough suction to work that way. If not, then we will have to get even more creative! Since the motor is still out of the car, this will have to wait a little bit to be tested out fully.
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Awsome fix. Patiently awaiting results. 8)
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Killer! I love seeing stuff made from what's laying around. Nice work...
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Thanks guys, I just hope my idea of the remote reservoir works! I know it would be ok if it was a gravity feed system, but I don't know if the pump will create enough suction to pull it from below. I was thinking that as long as it is primed, it should be OK... Just not sure until we try it.
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

It'll work fine.

You just HAVE to make sure the low pressure side seals up perfect. A slight pin hole leak might suck in air, but not leak out fluid, and aerate the fluid. I had this problem with mine.

To bleed the system, put the front up on stands. Motor off, turn the wheel SLOWLY lock to lock 20 times, let the bubbles in the resivoir settle for 10 minutes, repeat. Then start it up, go lock to lock a couple times, shut it off, and check the resivoir again for bubbles. Lock to lock, engine off, settle, fire up, settle, you get the idea.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Nice job!

Is that turbo inlet on a EJ22T?
SUBARUEHS Racing
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yes it is. Its feeding at TD04.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Wait, so that turbo inlet is on a STOCK EJ22T? Like, it fits under the manifold? No clearance issues whatsoever?

If so, I applaud you, sir. Very impressive!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

asc_up wrote:Wait, so that turbo inlet is on a STOCK EJ22T? Like, it fits under the manifold? No clearance issues whatsoever?

Stock motor w/ a TDO4, stock intake manifold. I would not say no clearance issues, because there are a LOT of them. You just need to take care of them properly. The intake manifold had to have 3 huge aluminum bosses cut off of it, the fuel lines re-routed, coolant lines moved, PCV re-routed, wiring re-routed, different or modified power steering pump.... There is a lot involved to make it work correctly. I am using a stock WRX/TDO4 turbo inlet because we have a few laying around the shop. That itself also had to be modified in order to clear everything and to fit. Its not a perfect fit by any means, but it works. It has been done before by others on this board.. Not sure how many, but it has been done. I got the idea to do it from reading SLODRIVE's build thread.

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

asc_up wrote:Wait, so that turbo inlet is on a STOCK EJ22T? Like, it fits under the manifold? No clearance issues whatsoever?

Ryan's just good like that. I was going to be honored that he was going to utilize my custom intake idea for the rally car, but instead he went his own route. :(

STill very pimp though. 8)
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I do what I can. I liked the simplicity of the 90deg silicone elbow for a inlet, but I just did not like how it looked after I put the 90deg elbow on. I just kept looking at the motor saying "I wish I could just route it under the manifold"... So I finally said screw it, lets do it. We officially have like 24days till our first race.... Its crunch time!

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Best of luck to ya Ryan in getting it finished & running. Also, good luck in your first race with the car. I'd just take it easy & consider it "working out the bugs".
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

dropdfocus wrote:Best of luck to ya Ryan in getting it finished & running. Also, good luck in your first race with the car. I'd just take it easy & consider it "working out the bugs".
Thanks, I appreciate it! With me behind the wheel at a RallyX event, there is no "take it easy".... I love to win, and I tend to put on a pretty good show. :twisted: ... At least that was the case with my WRX Wagon...

It will get a proper "shakedown" before the first event.

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Nice work. A set of phenolic intake spacers would probably help w/ spacing the mani plus keep it cooler.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

beatersubi wrote:Nice work. A set of phenolic intake spacers would probably help w/ spacing the mani plus keep it cooler.
Thought about this. We can not bring our self to spend that much on them at the moment. Maybe after we know the car will run and drive.

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

I am just finishing up my build and I took a similar approach. Sorry for the crappy cell pictures but i am waiting for my new camera :D

OP: hopefully you don't mind me contributing a few photos and ideas to your thread...

Engine bay shot:

I wanted to keep the wasted spark, run the ej20g manifold that came with my motor and still run an under the intake turbo inlet setup, so as the OP described the PS res had to be moved:

I ended up taking the PS pump apart and added a pipe thread feature to the original inlet bore of the housing so that i could set it up like this:

I created something similar to what Rally did on the top of his pump to the bottom of my fluid res. but i dont have any pictures of at the moment. I am also going to add a 3/8inch aluminum power steering cooling loop inline with the inlet which will sit right under the radiator support behind the grill.

As rally stated, there is a lot that needed to be moved/rerouted to make the inlet piping fit. I customized the harness, converted to a parallel fuel line setup, and had to make my own version of the pcv system.

Picture of the under the mani piping:
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Sweet, so you have the same idea and concept as I do, and are having zero problems with it??

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

not yet but i have yet to take it to a track day or autox it since it has been running and really heat up the PS fluid so we shall see how it handles that.
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Nice that looks pretty clean.
-Doug Wilson
kingston
First Gear

Re: DIY- Modified Power Steering Pump for Under Manifold Inl

Post by kingston »

did you end up plugging up the recirc inlet on the turbo inlet hose?
2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
1989 S13 White Coupe
1992 Winestone Red Legacy SS
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

kingston wrote:did you end up plugging up the recirc inlet on the turbo inlet hose?
For the BPV? If so, then yes.

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re:

Post by cj91legss »

gt2.5turbo wrote:not yet but i have yet to take it to a track day or autox it since it has been running and really heat up the PS fluid so we shall see how it handles that.
if you check out my build journals, i did the same thing with the stock pump... and after really getting the fluid temps up there i have developed a leak at my "connection" to the top of the pump.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

ours has some slight seepage but nothing major. We have raced the crap out of this car with no issues.

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i did not think of tapping the pump for threads tho.... maybe someday i will try that.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kingston
First Gear

Post by kingston »

i see some of the holes on the inlet hose you plugged up with misc. bolt. did you do that with all the holes you didn't use? I was thinking of JB welding.
2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
1989 S13 White Coupe
1992 Winestone Red Legacy SS