STI Exhaust

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

snowjob
Second Gear

STI Exhaust

Post by snowjob »

I have a line on a relatively new 04 STI turbo back exhaust. Has anyone done this? Any problems or fitment issues. What were the benifits?
Thanks for any info

Frazer
04 modified XT
99 LGT Limited
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

you're going to have to increase the overall length of it. I'm not sure where but the impreza has a shorter exhaust system since the wheelbas is shorter.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
snowjob
Second Gear

Post by snowjob »

That's not too big a deal, I assume their would be some benifits, right now anything would be better than a hold in the midpipe...
04 modified XT
99 LGT Limited
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It's identical to the stock WRX system (minus a mounting point difference because of the wider tranny tunnel). The stock WRX system is almost identical to the stock Turbo Legacy system.

Not worth it unless it's free, IMO.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

I agree, the only benefit from an STi exhaust is the muffler with STi stamped into it. The system may sound a little better, but who knows on a Legacy. I'd rather spend a bit more money and get a nice 3" turbo-back.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

The STi muffler flows better than the WRX system. But if you look at it.... it's still gots plenty of backpressure. I could have got one for cheap until I saw the little piping do two 90 degree bends before entering the muffler. It just doesn't look right after staring at 3 inch exhaust going straight back all the way from the downpipe.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
stillkckn
In Neutral

Post by stillkckn »

We've had the CES Racing (WRX) exhaust on our STI, and it went on just fine. There is an issue, but it is not with the fit. There are reports of boost creep with free-flowing 3" systems on the STI, and there is some evidence of boost spiking. We think we know how to fix the spike (simple "tweak"), but the creep (if it can be documented) may require a more serious mod (like porting the wastegate).

If you're interested (here), I'll post the results of what we find, though there is no telling how long it may be before I can do much with my STI (it is sitting, on it's rotors, having been dropped off by the insurance company, as a total rightoff)
Jeff
snowjob
Second Gear

That Sucks

Post by snowjob »

Sorry to hear about your sti, what will you do with it??part it out :idea: Just kidding, Thanks for the info Guys, this has been very helpful, maybe i'll invest my money elsewhere...
Thanks
Frazer
04 modified XT
99 LGT Limited
Mackenzie
In Neutral

Post by Mackenzie »

so a turbo back exhaust for a wrx will fit on a SS awd turbo?
Young Squack
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

Mackenzie wrote:so a turbo back exhaust for a wrx will fit on a SS awd turbo?
Sorta. I think the midpipe is going to need to be extended.
98 LGT
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

the mid pipe or the axle back ( your call ) needs to be extended 6 inches and one hanger on the muffler needs to be lenghtenes and the midpipe hanger needs to be moved if you want. i didnt move it on my tbe because the hangers for the dp and the axle back were suficcent in holding it up
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
Mackenzie
In Neutral

Post by Mackenzie »

i see. so the extension of the midpipe is the only issue? thats not to bad then.
Young Squack
Mackenzie
In Neutral

Post by Mackenzie »

where could you get the extending done, muffler shop? i could prolly do it myself but where would i get a 3inch ss pipe that is six inches?
Young Squack
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

muffler shop.
-----

http://www.bignose.ca/legacy/pics/
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Mackenzie wrote: but where would i get a 3inch ss pipe that is six inches?
Are you trying to do it in SS? Call around to piping companies. Also try places that work on diesel trucks, or places that make Pharmacutical equipement. I got mine from the later.

If you're in a larger city then there should be exhaust shops that work with SS.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

hey guy i just brough the hallman boost controller now i read that i should have " One is a free flow exhaust. Backpressure causes heat in the turbo and as small as the stock IHI turbo is already, you do not need anymore. At the least, you should have a 2.5" or 3" cat-back system with a very free-flow muffler. It would be ideal to have the downpipe since that is probably the biggest restriction in the system"

dunno which should a get my achivement would be around 200-300hp.

i try looking on internet about downpipe i dint find anything usefull

anyone have suggestion
Last edited by yazmo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

it will fit, i have it on my car (06 sti)

you might need an extention
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
homegrwn97
In Neutral

Post by homegrwn97 »

Okay sorry im a newb....

but from reading many threads....a stock oem exhaust system from a wrx or sti (no matter what year) will fit our 91 SS with some extending of the axle back....correct?
05 LGT Wagon & 91 SS
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yep.

i have one for sale if anyone is interested
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Are the exhaust pipe diameters in the wrx system vs the sti system the same? Or does the sti piping have a larger diameter?
'94 TW
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

no idea. my sti one is like 2.5 or something
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I also want to know if the sti or wrx inside diameter of the exhaust header is larger than the ej22t headers.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

The WRX header is identical, except for the O2 sensor hole. AFAIK, the STi is also the same, diameter and all.

The WRX turbo-back exhaust diameter is 2.25", where the STi is 2.5" AFAIK.

My STi exhaust is extended at the midpipe, and the hanger points on the muffler are moved.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
homegrwn97
In Neutral

Post by homegrwn97 »

ScottyS wrote:The WRX header is identical, except for the O2 sensor hole. AFAIK, the STi is also the same, diameter and all.

The WRX turbo-back exhaust diameter is 2.25", where the STi is 2.5" AFAIK.

My STi exhaust is extended at the midpipe, and the hanger points on the muffler are moved.
Good info! thank you!
05 LGT Wagon & 91 SS
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I can say for sure that the STi header is identical to the Legacy unit besides the O2 hole (for which there's an undrilled boss on the Legacy one). I had both in my garage at the same time, and I only used the STi header because the other one was caked in old mud. :/
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!