DP and O2 sensor questions?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

courtjesterclown
First Gear

Post by courtjesterclown »

hmmm, me personally i would be better with the electrical work. But it just seems like extending the O2 sensor wires would be too simple. Is it just putting an extension in on all the wires, and installing them with a waterproof crimp connector? then should i wrap all the wires together or singly with electrical tape?
1994 SS 4EAT Aegean Blue Metallic
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

courtjesterclown: If you can look at the splice connections that come with the newer BOSCH universal sensors. They make perfect waterpoof connections for up to 4 wires. I bet you could buy one of those and then cut the entire wire off the old sensor and get plenty of length plus a better working sensor!
courtjesterclown
First Gear

YEa, that makes sense. ANd i dont think the new location is that much further below the old one, so hopefully the Bosch would provide enough length. I should stop worrying so much.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, all you need to do is extend all three wires with waterproof connections. I would wrap them in corrugated split-loom tubing and secure it to the car. On Phil's car we actually fastened wire staples (like what you use to secure coax or whatever to the walls of your house) to the underside of the car with stainless screws instead of nails.

If I'm thinking of the right thing, ciper, you're talking those connectors where you slip a nut over the wire, push the wire into the thingie, and then tighten the nut, kind of like a compression fitting except for wire instead of tubing?

Those are called Posi-Lock connectors:

http://www.posi-lock.com/

You can actually buy them individually at many parts stores. Posi-Locks are actually probably the best way for you to go, courtjesterclown. If you tighten them down with pliers you can get good connections to the oxygen sensor wires. Get six Posi-Tite connectors and several feet of wire (ideally in red, white, and black to match the factory wires) and you're good to go.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Yes posilock but they also come with a water proof box that clips over them.
courtjesterclown
First Gear

that looks like a very good product. I think my local NAPA carries those ones. Got my downpipe in today, looks like i'll prolly need to put about 4 foot of an extension to make it work comfortably.
courtjesterclown
First Gear

Well got the extension made, and so far so good. Hooked all the wires up, and then took a drive. No CEL's as of yet. Took another 10 mile drive, and still no CEL's and runs great. I was thinkin that it even if the connection didnt work, that it would take a little bit for the check engine light to work, but i've ran it for probably a half hour and nothing yet. Lets hope it stays this way. Thanks folks for all your suggestions.
courtjesterclown
First Gear

So i hooked up a new Bosch 02 sensor backwards, and the car ran like crap, and ran extremmmmely rich and wouldnt even idle. THen figured out what was going on, and got everything wired up correctly and it idled fine. But ever since then when i get on thethrottle and boost i can almost hear it missing and its sorta sluggish. What is the chance i could have fouled out the plugs and they need to be replaced?
homegrwn97
In Neutral

Post by homegrwn97 »

bump for a ton of good info in this thread.

Thanks a lot!
05 LGT Wagon & 91 SS