Steam City!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Steam City!

Post by NuclearBacon »

Steamy McSteamerson! So i take my friends to In-n-Out last night and we're all waiting in the drive thru for like...20 minutes, typical in-n-out, and i get home, and there is steam POURING out of my hood when i pull into my garage.

I open my hood. and theres steam coming out of this random spot.... (this is not my engine, but useful for description)

It was pouring out of where the red circle is. if i didnt know any better, it was right where the head attaches to the block, like through the head gasket?? is this possible? the coolent tank didnt look like it had a leak or anything, and i couldnt see any coolent lines that ran anywhere close to where it was steaming...

All i keep thinking about is the 300 bucks worth of parts i bought for my xt6 THAT MORNING... and now i might need... more haha

ideas?? thanks!!
Luigi
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

There's a couple coolant lines in that area. One attaches the bottom nipple of the overflow tank to something down there.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

interesting... OK! then it looks like I'll be taking it apart! :)

all i kept thinking about was head gasket head gasket... but no oil in the reservoir, or anything... just another coolant line...
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

Ok, before i dive into it, and it looks like depending on where the leak is, i might need to take the intake manifold off. Ive enclosed a few drawings from the FSM. maybe someone could point out which hose would most likely be. at this point, if i dont get it fixed... not really sure how i'll get home for xmas... im just seeing myself ordering some obscure hose from subaru.. and it not coming in til january second.

Pic 1

Pic 2

On pic #1, it looks like hose #10 might be the one to blame. i wonder how deep i'll have to go. :)
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you can get a mirror down there or something, that would help you troubleshoot before pulling the manifold.

Also if you have a coolant system pressure tester, that would also be very helpful. You may be able to rent one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

So i ran the car for a few seconds to see if i could see a drip... and i could!!! it looks like its somewhere close to the temp sender units or maybe #8, or #10in pic 1. I ran out of time (phone tech support) and when i get home i'm going to pull the alternator and move the AC out of the way. That should give me a better look into that spot and see if i can see it weeping. my vote is either of the sender units, the gasket (# 8 ) or maybe #10 wherever it goes... where does #10 go??? (on pic #1)
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo