Legacy got tuned (round 3)

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Legacy got tuned (round 3)

Post by Legacy777 »

Well, this is the third time the Link has been "tuned". The second was decent, but few of the correction factors were setup correctly. Those have all been setup "properly" now.

We did some minor tweaking with the accel enrichment once I got to Houston, but overall it runs good, and I am pretty happy with the power.

On 91 octane it put down:

235.7 HP @ 5000 rpm
264.9 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm

On 93 octane it put down:

242.4 HP @ 5000 rpm
280.2 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm

Those numbers are wheel horsepower and torque. Stock STi puts down around 250 hp & torque to the wheels on their dyno.

You can see from the plots that the heads really are the limiting factor. But I can't complain too much as the motor is making nearly as much HP, and MORE torque than a DOHC head with much larger ports & valves.

As some of you may have noticed in the engine forum. I've got a thread about some cooling system issues. I think it's a head gasket, but will wait until I test the coolant for hydrocarbons. Surprisingly the engine runs fine. I just don't think the stock head gakset can hold up to 20 psi of boost. Plugs are good, so no real signs of bad detonation. If I have to pull the head gasket I will probably try and get the heads to flow a little more with p&p & cams (I'd be stupid not to...haha :P)

Ok, onto the plots. (click on the image for a larger image)

This plot shows the pre-tune and post tune on 91 octane

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. the 93 octane tune

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. a stock 2002 WRX (note the scale is off on the WRX plot)

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. a mod. 2004 WRX (note the torque difference at mid-low rpm)

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. a mod. 2005 WRX

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. a stock 2006 WRX

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. a mod. 2006 WRX w/ Tomei header & up-pipe

This plot shows the 91 octane tune vs. a stock 2006 STi

This plot shows a final report of the pre-tuned 91, post-tuned 91, and post-tuned 93 runs.

All the plots can be found here
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... yno_plots/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The headgasket can hold 28 psi just fine. Have you ever cracked that motor open? Headstuds might help, as I've never ran without them.

The heads are a restriction yes, but your turbo size is the main restriction. I was making over STI power at 14 psi, and 293 whp at 20 psi from the GT2871R 56T. This was with Delta basic ground cams and stock heads.

I'm not sure where you want to go with the car, but a 16G is honestly too small for your capabilities. If you have decent heads with turbo specific cams, then I'd say something like a HTA68. Keep in mind that I would prefer less than 300 whp on a stock 22T short block with the windowed pistons.

Fuji made almost 300 with WRX heads and his home porting and a Evo 3 16G on a stock 22T shortblock, but it is what it is.

Personally I think you are limited by hardware. Having Delta rework your cams should help some, but a 16G is rather small for someone who can control it. Just remember, if your turbo spools up fast, it falls off on the top end. Unless you use a VNT turbo :-D
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Just how much can you get a VNT turbo for and what all do you need to make it work? I read about them in maximum boost (book on turbocharger systems) and have wanted one ever since.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:The headgasket can hold 28 psi just fine. Have you ever cracked that motor open? Headstuds might help, as I've never ran without them.
I rebuilt the motor......but have not had it open since. Granted, I didn't go all out on the motor build.

Honestly....I'm a crossroads. If I really want any more power, it's going to be a lot more money to maintain the power and reliability.

I'd need new heads, or work the heads, cams, turbo, fuel injectors, and possibly ignition (cop)....plus a 6spd or rebuilt 5spd. There's a lot diminishing returns for how much money would need to be spent.

I'm happy with the power it's making now. I'd really just like to have the car running, so I can enjoy it ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How come no build thread?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Legacy777 wrote:
93forestpearl wrote:The headgasket can hold 28 psi just fine. Have you ever cracked that motor open? Headstuds might help, as I've never ran without them.
I rebuilt the motor......but have not had it open since. Granted, I didn't go all out on the motor build.

Honestly....I'm a crossroads. If I really want any more power, it's going to be a lot more money to maintain the power and reliability.

I'd need new heads, or work the heads, cams, turbo, fuel injectors, and possibly ignition (cop)....plus a 6spd or rebuilt 5spd. There's a lot diminishing returns for how much money would need to be spent.

I'm happy with the power it's making now. I'd really just like to have the car running, so I can enjoy it ;)

Well, welcome to the Subaru game. There are certain levels that mean leaps in cost.

You could pursue heads and that stuff, but I thinks it's more expensive than a larger turbo. Get you're cams done, retune, and go from there.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:Well, welcome to the Subaru game. There are certain levels that mean leaps in cost.

You could pursue heads and that stuff, but I thinks it's more expensive than a larger turbo. Get you're cams done, retune, and go from there.
Yeah....I'm well aware of the subaru game...

Like you said....just going to look at cams....maybe p&p and go from there.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

kimokalihi wrote:Just how much can you get a VNT turbo for and what all do you need to make it work? I read about them in maximum boost (book on turbocharger systems) and have wanted one ever since.

It's been in my thread for a while.
→Dan

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Nice results. The WRX has quite the low range gains from the Tomei header+up-pipe. Does that shop sell those parts? :wink:
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

kimokalihi wrote:How come no build thread?
Because everything I've done was meant to be on my website, but I've been lazy have not updated it....and a build thread would be pretty much the same....so that's pretty much why no build thread :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

AWD_addict wrote:Nice results. The WRX has quite the low range gains from the Tomei header+up-pipe. Does that shop sell those parts? :wink:
Thanks

Yeah...I'm assuming they do :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Legacy777 wrote: Honestly....I'm a crossroads. If I really want any more power, it's going to be a lot more money to maintain the power and reliability.

That's why I traded mine for the Audi...I have a lot more power potential now...

But damn Josh...those are some great numbers...I bet your Leggy is a lot o' fun!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Very nice! I would certainly be satisfied with those numbers! I can definately see where your coming from when you say you want the reliability and power, especially if its your DD. Once you get much farther into the build than you have it seems like you need a second car for the "just in case" factor, and swapping parts, etc.

Just out of curiousity, what is VNT? Is that a brand, or just a certain type of turbo?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

555BCTurbo wrote:
Legacy777 wrote: Honestly....I'm a crossroads. If I really want any more power, it's going to be a lot more money to maintain the power and reliability.

That's why I traded mine for the Audi...I have a lot more power potential now...

But damn Josh...those are some great numbers...I bet your Leggy is a lot o' fun!
Yeah....like I said, I'm pretty happy with the numbers. The car is definitely fun to drive. I can be happy with those numbers.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mattheww044 wrote:Very nice! I would certainly be satisfied with those numbers! I can definately see where your coming from when you say you want the reliability and power, especially if its your DD. Once you get much farther into the build than you have it seems like you need a second car for the "just in case" factor, and swapping parts, etc.

Just out of curiousity, what is VNT? Is that a brand, or just a certain type of turbo?
It's not my daily driver....hasn't been since 2004....but still I'd like to maintain a reasonable reliability.

VNT - Variable Nozzle Turbine. There are vanes on the turbine side of the turbo that change the throat area and can change the flow characteristics of the turbine section of the turbo allowing for fast spool up and good flow at high rpm.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

what does your timing map look like? I'm interested in seeing your numbers.

also, what gap do you use on your spark plugs?

I'm running a max 27* advance on my rally car because I've got no way to check the knock with the Link ECU.

the 27* is around 5000rpm at -0vac, it's 16-18* at 20PSI and 5000rpm

I know there's the thing about people using your maps and whatnot could be dangerous to other idiots, but I'm just curious to see what you're doing :)
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm running the stock gap. When I pulled them on Saturday, they were around 1.1 mm. I am running an MSD Dis-2 ignition, which does seem to help the ignition system.

As for timing, this map has a max timing of about 40 degrees at very low vacuum. At 5000 rpm and 20 psi timing is about 25 degrees.

I talked with the tuner about timing and fuel. He tends to setup the maps to build boost by increasing vs. dumping lots of fuel in.

He had a set of the headphones and was listening for knock and indicated there was none.

I'm travelling this week, but can try and get you some more info on the timing table when I get some time.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Josh, I think I was a bit riled up from the game and totally misunderstood your original post. I thought you were expecting more out of it.

That is pretty good considering the mods have into the car, especially for a normal 16g. It is a good example of what a standalone and a custom tune will do for a car.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks Dan.....yeah I wasn't really expecting anything more than that. I'm happy with the results and need to just drive the car :)

I may play with some of the extra capabilities the Link can do. There's a lot of possibilities for extra creative stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

That's why I traded mine for the Audi
:roll:

Cmon now.

BTW when everything on that car stops working for no apparent reason just check the wire loom that goes between the door and body :-D
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Very Cool!

I think a stock longblock Legy making that kind of power is really sweet. Be happy and drive it.

I know it's listed elsehwere, but what injectors are you using? STi 550's?

-Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, the STi 550's
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Have you considered using an aftermarket knock sensor to monitor knock and to tune with?
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Legacy777 wrote:
I may play with some of the extra capabilities the Link can do. There's a lot of possibilities for extra creative stuff.
Can you say anti-lag baby!!!

Congrats. You have to be very happy with that dyno tune.

So what about a different head design AND cam work? Forgetting now which heads are much higher flowing...ej20k?
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

epicfail wrote:Have you considered using an aftermarket knock sensor to monitor knock and to tune with?
Link does have the ability to monitor the knock sensor, and I can tune with that. The stock knock sensor doesn't appear to output the best into the Link. I'm working on upgrading to a newer knock sensor which has a better data output.

I will note that the G4 knock detection system doesn't work exactly how it should. It is not closed loop and doesn't pull timing UNLESS the PCLink software is connected. The G3 is closed loop. I have been told that Link is in the process of updating the firmware so the knock detection on the G4 is closed loop and reterds timing without the PCLink software connected.

They originally did this because they wanted people to use their knock block with the G4 ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT