WRX rims on my Legacy?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

WRX rims on my Legacy?

Post by eastbaysubaru »

So, my question is... Will I be OK if I run stock WRX tires on my car until I can afford to get new tires for the WRX 16's? I know they're a little larger, apparently .7 inches too large. I'm just curious, because they're all over the place right now and I can't really afford new rims and tires, but it'd sure be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

-Brian

FYI...stock WRX tires are 205-55-16 and stock Leg. Turbo tires are 195-60-15
'04 PSM FXT
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

yeah it will work. your speedo will just read a little low. basically, you will be going faster than what your speedo says. the closest size for legacy is a 205/50-16. this is just slightly smaller than stock. :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
Js92Tru
In Neutral

Post by Js92Tru »

Or you could be lucky like me and have a speedo that reads slow with the factory size. :P

Jay
For sale -'92 White Legacy Turbo Sedan (US Spec) STi shifter, STi strut Mounts, KYB AGX struts, Eibach Springs, 16" 97 GT rims, Potenza RE950 tires and others.
His - 99.5 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS (Brilliant Yellow) w/ some Mods
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Aaron's ej22t wrote:yeah it will work. your speedo will just read a little low. basically, you will be going faster than what your speedo says. the closest size for legacy is a 205/50-16. this is just slightly smaller than stock. :o
You're kidding? My car already goes faster than a stock Legacy SS should... and my speedo's slow? cumagain?

I'm running 205/55/16s Dunlop WinterSport M2s on WRX rims. To answer the 1st question, yeah. they'll fit. And they look DAMN good too. I've only had the car for a couple weeks, and I've had several comments on "Hey, nice rims!" They look nicer than the legacy turbo rims IMO, but not at all *bling* or "rice" or whatever.

but this really has my speedo running slow? damn. I can't wait to get the set of stockers I was promised so I can get some real times.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Igg,

Try to find one of those speed signs.....where it says your speed is...xxx.

Try and go by it with no one around you and at different speeds to see how acurate your speedo is.

Other way to do this is get a gps unit. It'll tell you your ground speed. Only issue you'd have is the antenna needs line of sight to the satellite so you gotta hold it under the windshield.....unless you have a remote antenna.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Another good way is to pull up next to a Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis and look at the digital speedo. Since these are commonly Cop Cars and Taxi Cabs the speedos are VERY ACCURATE and a good portion of them have digital speed read out.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

with a incorrect ratio that has a tire size which is too large, your car will actually be slower in acceleration. you will rev lower on the freeway at cruising speeds, and the speedo will read slow. search for a tire calculator and do the calculation of a stock 195/60-15 compared to 205/55-16.

-aaron :o
zak
First Gear

Post by zak »

here ya go! Best one I've found....

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Zak Malbin
1993 Legacy Turbo
Boost +, AWIC, 3" turbo back, intake, trailer hitch, etc.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

That's the program I was using to calculate the difference :lol:. I'm just wondering about the possibility of mechanical problems. I'm assuming I'll be fine.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

From what I understand, you should be fine, unless you have other problems to begin with.

When I put WRX rims and tires on my '93 Legacy Turbo they scrubbed the wheel wells in the rear a tiny bit on sharp turns. I'm pretty sure my rear springs are worn out, though, since I left a lot of weight in the back seat and in the trunk for a long time and never gave the springs a chance to decompress. Until I get new springs I've stuck in little rubber spacers which made the problem go away, although they do kind of affect the spring dynamics...

So unless your springs or struts are worn out, you'll probably be fine. Many people have done WRX wheel swaps.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

eastbaysubaru wrote:I'm just wondering about the possibility of mechanical problems.
I had 14" stock rims to begin with, and now I have 17's. With my low-profile tires on the 17's the diameter is about the same. But should I be worrying about wheel bearings or anything like that?

Sorry this is off-topic, btw...
Last edited by entirelyturbo on Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I think you should get them, and use 205 50 16 712 kuhmo.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I will eventually be using 205 50 16, but I don't have money for tires right now so I'll be using the stock RE92's that came on the WRX.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

When I had the re-92 they rubbed in a couple places. Only under very hard cornering though. Most noticable on the rear spring seats. They will also rub on the inner front wheel well under hard cornering.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

subyluvr, you don't have to worry about wheel bearings unless you run a really low offset. don't you have rota wheels? IIRC, they are 48 offset. anything less than 46 is probably about where you start having long-term problems. i would recommend staying in between 48-53 offset.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My 16" wheels have +45mm offset......and I haven't had any issues. granted I haven't noticed any smoking wheel wells.....or grinding noises.....so I would assume they are fine. :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I just got the wheels on two days ago. They look HOT. Much better than my stock 15's. They make the car feel sooo much better too. I immediately felt a difference the first time I took a tight turn. I'm really excited about them. As soon as I get the new axles in I'll be taking it in for an alignment...hopefully on Monday.

-Brian

Pics to come tomorrow or the next day.
'04 PSM FXT