So whats the best Turbo/Injector Combo?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HandleWitCare
First Gear

So whats the best Turbo/Injector Combo?

Post by HandleWitCare »

:mrgreen: SO ive been looking in to upgrading my stock turbo and injectors so i can finaly throw my 07 TMIC on. But since revtronix is nolonger.. what should i get. Ive hear alot of talk of a TD04 and a TD05 With 440's... Whats the average cost/performance gain? I know ill need a MBC, already have apexi intake and HKS 3"DP. So i ask.... Whats the best bang for the buck :?:
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: So whats the best Turbo/Injector Combo?

Post by cj91legss »

there's a fellow member running a td05 w/ 440s and he gets around 270hp, me and my friend estimate i get about 205ho w/ my td04 & 440s @ 16lbs.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

I run a td05-16g on 550's, fmic and aftermarket ecu. It was dynoed 294/293 a couple of weeks ago and there is still more left in it. I had a 99 impreza earlier with a td04 @ ~20 psi and dynoed 267/261. (both on crank)

The td04 kicks in much earlier and builds boost a lot faster, but the td05 is much easier to drive on a daily basis. It hits max boost later obviously and it builds boost slower, so it never comes as a surprise. You can drive it off boost without problems or you can kick it and stay within boost through gears.
The impreza was harder to drive slow, because you'd hit max boost just before shifting. I haven't tried the td05 on track yet, so no comparison there, but I would assume it is easier to control aswell as you have alot more rpms to work with while building boost. Also the td04 drops in pressure a lot earlier than the td05, which can almost hold 22psi through to redline.

I was afraid to be suffering from turbo lag when going from a td04/tmic to td05/fmic, but I'll have to admit it suits me a lot better.
I have no idea about cost or what to do if you stick with the stock ecu. I would expect the td05 route to be more expensive.
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest figuring out your engine management first, as you will not get the most out of the other mods. There's a post in the electrical forum about "Rob Tunes". He is working on a similar setup to what revtronix provided.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Egine management has been my only down fall thus far... After revtronix died we as a community are in need of a replacement. Ive done some snooping in to this "Robs Tune" but so far he is not offering anything that we can use.. Isnt there anyone outhere that can take revtronix place?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HandleWitCare wrote:Egine management has been my only down fall thus far... After revtronix died we as a community are in need of a replacement. Ive done some snooping in to this "Robs Tune" but so far he is not offering anything that we can use.. Isnt there anyone outhere that can take revtronix place?
Sure, but not 'plug and play' like either an ECU or chip upgrade. Piggy backs and Stand-alones are other EM options.

Unfortunately, due to the EJ22T's limited use (only in the US) and short build dates - '91-94 - the small customer base makes it hard for a vendor to justify spending much on support.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

So my best bet is to just enjoy what i have for now.. and save my money for a newer suby/or a hybrid build with my ej22t block? This is dissapointing due to how fun these cars are.. and i thought i had a great base to build from.. once again skunked.....
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Just to let everyone know.. I FINALY Brought my 91 SS Back to LIFE!!!!!! Just got my 200 dollar coolant fill tank and turbo inlet elbow from Subaru... Back to stock... Finaly Now i can start to have fun!!!! MOD TIME!!!!!!
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Just to be clear, our cars can handle a vf-39 or td05-16g with stock internals right? But its a good idea to put in some 2.5 heads?

i know you need an intercooler, injectors, jecs maf, engine management.

Just making sure the stock internals can handle it..
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

18 lbs in my car seems to be doing fine with 440s & vf39
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

cj91legss wrote:18 lbs in my car seems to be doing fine with 440s & vf39
Good to know :)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

keep in mind, every car is different.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

true. what are you using for EM?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

stock ecu right now.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

and she runs pretty much fine?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

little rich at the moment, but pulls alright
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

CJ do you have an AFR gauge hooked up yet though? I wouldn't run anything over stock without an AFR gauge.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HandleWitCare wrote:So my best bet is to just enjoy what i have for now.. and save my money for a newer suby/or a hybrid build with my ej22t block? This is dissapointing due to how fun these cars are.. and i thought i had a great base to build from.. once again skunked.....
A little slow to respond...but after adding a piggy-back to my other Subie (not my Legacy w/the Rev chip), I'd suggest doing some more research on EM options.

You DO have a great base to build from....These cars are probably one of the most over-built/under-utilized platforms out there.

I'm not going name a number, but the block is very solid. No, the heads don't flow like a DOHC, but Legacy777 made 250+ WHP w/them (STi's are about 240-ish WHP), which is DOUBLE the stock HP on those stock heads. And although the pistons aren't forged....it's not a big deal if you tune it correctly - and don't go crazy w/boost.

For the cost of few tuner books, the piggy-back, wide-band, knock-light and even a couple of hours @ a tuner, if needed, you're still way ahead of buying a new(er) car, and you'll be looking @ 'em in the rear-view. :-)

So, in case I wasn't clear, YOU DO have a great base to build from! :-)

GL,
TD
Last edited by wtdash on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

LookAsubie wrote:Just to be clear, our cars can handle a vf-39 or td05-16g with stock internals right? But its a good idea to put in some 2.5 heads?

You'll hear this more than you want....IT'S IN THE TUNE. As I said above I'm not going to name #'s as I really don't know, but I highly doubt either of those turbos w/440-550cc injectors will max out the EJ22T w/a PROPER TUNE.

The heads will give you about 20% more flow. I'm not sure how that translates into HP/Torque, as it's not a straight across 20% more of each.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

wtdash wrote:
LookAsubie wrote:Just to be clear, our cars can handle a vf-39 or td05-16g with stock internals right? But its a good idea to put in some 2.5 heads?

You'll hear this more than you want....IT'S IN THE TUNE. As I said above I'm not going to name #'s as I really don't know, but I highly doubt either of those turbos w/440-550cc injectors will max out the EJ22T w/a PROPER TUNE.

The heads will give you about 20% more flow. I'm not sure how that translates into HP/Torque, as it's not a straight across 20% more of each.

GL,
TD
Thank you sir.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

kimokalihi wrote:CJ do you have an AFR gauge hooked up yet though? I wouldn't run anything over stock without an AFR gauge.

Nope
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Well sorry i took so long to get back.... Sadlley I got laid off today.. so untill I get a jobby I cant do any purchasing.. :( but I can Learn more about this EM problem. :-D

Dash,
Thank you for the info... Im relived to hear that when buying the car the feeling of the car being underrated was true... So again thank you :P

Everyone Else,
Which seems like the better option for daily driving when it comes to EM? Also if im goin to have to find a tuner.. should i just have them do it all or can i realy get it done my self? I mean when it comes to PC's thats what i do so i figure my laptop some software, and the right hardware should do the trick, Now its time to find where to get the hardware.... Any suggestions? :-D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sorry to hear about you losing your job.

When it comes to tuning, you may be able to setup the I/O and what not in the EM, but unless you have a good understanding of engines and tuning, I'd probably suggest you let the tuner do the tuning.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Ok so heres the update..... I have since had my stock turbo go out.. :( So since that i picked up a 06 TDO4 from a buddy of mine out here in the STL It had just over 15K on it in awesome shape for $170 and he brought it to me 8) I got a Samco ypipe kit and picked up some grimm speed gaskets and a wrx bpv. Im waiting on my 90 for the inlet which should be here today. So when i get it running again i ll get picks.... Im running stock ECU and Injectors/Maf. I plan on running waste gate pressure.(TD04) Which i believe is 10psi? I have no MBC yet so i dont know what i should do? Plus i got a job not much but a job.. .so soon for the other parts i hope.. for now i just need a car.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I'm running the TD04 w/the stock injectors, ECU, TMIC and BCS - no MBC. I also have a 3" DP. I get a little more PSI out of it - 10-11 psi - which I feel is safe and doesn't hit the fuel cut @ 13psi.

There were a couple different WG's on the TD04....I think 10 and 14 psi? So, if you don't have a boost gauge - GET ONE - so you know what the TD04 is doing.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T