timing covers

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Stupidru
In Neutral

timing covers

Post by Stupidru »

On my ej22t can i remove timing covers without removing alt - ps - ac? I think timing belt is snapped, compression is very low.
84 twagon
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hey Mang, how you doing? IIRC you don't need to remove the actual units but you do need to remove the belts and one of the tensioners. You'll have to take the radiator fans out too. Take off the crank pulley ect.. If you have a Haynes manual it walks you through it pretty good. If you don't have a Haynes manual I suggest getting one( they're cheap and handy). If you're going to go through the trouble of getting in there to do the belts I suggest replacing the front seals and water pump too and maybe even the oil pump.

How's the rebuild coming? Did your heads check out ok?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

If you're gonna do the timing belt, might as well do water pump and oil seals like Matt said. If you're gonna do water pump, you're gonna hafta drain the radiator anyway, so might as well take it out. It's a whopping 5 minute removal and the few inches of extra room is WELL worth it!!!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Stupidru
In Neutral

local

Post by Stupidru »

You know what...if I should replace all that stuff...I might as well just buy a used engine. I found an engine locally, they want $1000 for it. It has 71,000 on it. Its out of a 94 & just came into the yard in 2003....they'll give me 30 day warrenty.
84 twagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Uh, but for all you know, the water pump and oil seals in that engine are all old too... And you don't know how well the previous owner(s) have treated it.

Timing belt/water pump/oil seals is a pretty standard maintenance job.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Stupidru
In Neutral

I guess

Post by Stupidru »

I guess your right...if I decide to go ahead w/ this one I'm going to pull it out to W&L Subaru (5 blocks) & have them do a leak down test to make sure its not rings.
84 twagon
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

subyluvr2212 wrote:If you're gonna do the timing belt, might as well do water pump and oil seals like Matt said. If you're gonna do water pump, you're gonna hafta drain the radiator anyway, so might as well take it out. It's a whopping 5 minute removal and the few inches of extra room is WELL worth it!!!
5 minutes if you don't have an old 4eat rad that hasn't been removed in a long time.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Stupidru
In Neutral

Yeah

Post by Stupidru »

Yeah..I know..I love it. When anyone says 5 min...its usually 5 hours for me. :lol:
84 twagon
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I helped a buddy buy a legacy that had a leaking radiator. Replaced the radiator outside the house we bought it from in about 20 minutes. It was an automatic too!

275 dollars for a 1990 L Wagon with 145k miles and it had NEW GR-2 and new brakes!