Low cost paint job (I mean very low cost!)

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SP-Boxer
First Gear

Post by SP-Boxer »

This is awesome 8)

I'm thinking of doing this in the future! :o
"I feel Legacy"
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Glad I can inspire so many people with good low cost work. :mrgreen:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

dropdfocus wrote:
I'm going back to the FMIC and putting on an N/A scoopless hood and possibly an N/A wingless trunk lid too. Project Stealth is in effect! :twisted:
Hey! That was always my idea. :twisted:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ok, I'll put a little sticker on the car that says "Stealth idea by: Matt"... Happy? :roll:

(j/k) :mrgreen:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

dropdfocus wrote:Ok, I'll put a little sticker on the car that says "Stealth idea by: Matt"... Happy? :roll:

Yes sir, that will work. Now, the lettering needs to be very large, like a windshield banner or something like that. I don't want there to be any question.

:smt016
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

You sir are a smart ass... As if you didn't already know. :twisted:
Jason
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

legacy92ej22t wrote:
dropdfocus wrote:Ok, I'll put a little sticker on the car that says "Stealth idea by: Matt"... Happy? :roll:

Yes sir, that will work. Now, the lettering needs to be very large, like a windshield banner or something like that. I don't want there to be any question.

:smt016
What about a windsield banner that reads, "SLEEPER" in 4" white lettering? Would that count as stealth?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Please say you are being a smart ass & not serious...
I almost thought about STEALTH for a PA licence plate, although I'm sure it's already in use by someone.
Jason
beanis05
First Gear

Re: Low cost paint job (I mean very low cost!)

Post by beanis05 »

What happened to this awsome idea where are the final results
1990 Subaru Legacy L 89k auto to 5 speed winter daily driver
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
1988 Mazda Rx7 vert > Turbo 2 trans swap
1993 Honda Civic Vx Gutted
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

as a former rattle can flat black wagon driver, its cool for a while, but then u realize your car looks like a pile of crap. mine was, maybe it was just me but that was my experience. of course i live in lake havasu, az now, and its pretty much a law that u dont drive a black car for fear of burning alive in it in the summertime 'warmth'. white ftw, but good job on the paint, flat black is difficult to get even.
WagonMafia
-Pure White 93 L Wagon converted to Turbo Wagon (almost complete)
-Pure White 92 SS parts car (doner) donated to friend
-91 Mazda miata drifto DD
http://photobucket.com/wagonmafia
mesoslow6969
First Gear

Post by mesoslow6969 »

my civic was flat black and it looked awesome when i first did it. after a month of bird poop, hand car washes, etc i had to repaint it every few months... it was a pain.
Anti-Seize is my best friend.
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

LOL I guess the best option is to do it like the rich kids do it and get it vinal wrapped. Thats how they achieve it on the expensive cars like the Porshes and Mercedes
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

gonna have Vin Diesel and friends do it? Im kidding. camo wraps all the wayyyy!
WagonMafia
-Pure White 93 L Wagon converted to Turbo Wagon (almost complete)
-Pure White 92 SS parts car (doner) donated to friend
-91 Mazda miata drifto DD
http://photobucket.com/wagonmafia
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

A semi gloss will give you some of the effect of the flat black, but be easier to clean and look less ghetto-fab. I used a semi gloss clearcoat on my olive green WWII bike this summer instead of flat so that I could actually clean it. Works as far as cleaning goes and doesn't have the shine of a gloss so it still looks appropriate enough. The flat black hood center and trunk of my GL had to be constantly polished with paint protectant and cleaned as soon as bird shit ended up on it to keep it from turning gray and staining. The polish also added just a little bit of reflection, which I turned out to like and which is where I got the idea for semi gloss. Also nearly bought a 440 69 Charger that had an old black repaint on it that had lost much of its shine and it looked way more badass than flat would have looked—like a tough old survivor rather than something that ended up owned by a broke person in a trailer park.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
soobrdad02
First Gear

Post by soobrdad02 »

Summit Racing, Westwood and other hot rod shops/dealers carry a hot rod flat and satin that looks like the rattlecan, but can be sprayed with a gun to avoid the spots and tracks created with a rattlecan. No pro sprayer available? I've seen great results with spraycans that have been in a hot water bath (aids in atomization of the spray, creating a better finish) as well as the use of replacement tips used by graffiti artists (a larger fan, and less passes necessary for coverage and a better chance at wet-edge complete coverage of a panel). I've seen great finishes with rattlecans using the above techniques and the proper surface preparation(including a fully restored Nova and a new WRX).
"All four wheels spin? Huh, that's AWD..."

*1991 Legacy wagon, 4EAT, n/a*
*1966 Chevrolet C-10 pick-'em-up*
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I did my bike with cans and even thought I was too lazy to buff the clear coat perfect, people have thought it was factory or a pro job. Heat them in water as you mention, spray in a relatively dust free area with light even coats, inspect between each coat and fix with a high # paper wet sanding. Proper surface prep and attention to details are the key. I must have spent at least 5 times longer on prep than painting, but it was worth it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

Prepping a car is a bitch I feel your pain
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

beanis05 wrote:LOL I guess the best option is to do it like the rich kids do it and get it vinal wrapped. Thats how they achieve it on the expensive cars like the Porshes and Mercedes
Vinyl wrap is actually cheaper than a decent paint job
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

How much does one cost I never actually looked into this?
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

beanis05 wrote:How much does one cost I never actually looked into this?
Good god, guess I was misinformed. $3500+