N/A 2.2L Legacy L Clutch Replacement Options?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Brisky
First Gear

N/A 2.2L Legacy L Clutch Replacement Options?

Post by Brisky »

Hello,
I tried searching, but came up short of a definitive answer.

I have a 93 2.2L Legacy L 5 Speed Manual AWD.
The clutch is not fully engaging when I shift at higher RPMs, like at 3.5K rpms I shift up to the next gear and it will not always catch. It will just continue to rev up more unless they go down low again and I can give it gas again and it will engage.

The shifter some times pops out of second, but rarely.

So my thoughts are pretty clear that I need to replace the clutch.

Reading over some other threads it appears that any of the 98-01 RS clutches and fly wheels should work.
I wanted to confirm this.

This is the clutch I plan on buying and hopefully a Lightweight flywheel.

http://www.fastflat4.com/index.cfm/page ... prd706.htm

I also was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-15802HD-Rac ... roduct_top

I know the engine does not put out much power, but I plan to do some Autocross racing in the future.

Are there any lightwheight flywheels you guys would suggest to match it?
I am open to suggestions on any other clutch kits and OEM parts I might need too.

Thanks again!

P.S. There should probably be a sticky that says what clutches and flywheels work with what model of legacy. :)
Brian

2001 Legacy GT - Sedan - White - Manual

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Re: N/A 2.2L Legacy L Clutch Replacement Options?

Post by Mister Anderson »

Just stick with the stock r.s clutch. Your transmission will not like a race clutch at all. I'm in the processes of swapping in a 5 speed in my turbo legacy. I am using a stock fly wheel and stock r.s clutch. I have a full standalone, td04 (18psi), intercooler, exhaust ect. The Stock r.s clutch should handle my mods. Your n/a 2.2 only puts out 135 hp so a race clutch inst really needed.

just my thought

Edit: If memory servers me right all n/a flywheels and clutches will work with each other. The same thing goes with the turbo flywheel/clutch. You can't use a turbo clutch on a n/a flywheel and vise versa.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/exedy-oem-repl ... 936y2000j1

Under item details it has the r.s clutch kit for 180 bucks

http://www.jcwhitney.com/fidanza-flywhe ... 936y2000j1

9 pound aluminum flywheel with replaceable steel face.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I'm getting ready to change my wifes clutch with a stock 2.5 rs clutch, and had my disk rebulit with kevlar. i have this setup on my car and like it alot. and costed me around 200 w/flywheel reserfaced
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Mister Anderson wrote:Just stick with the stock r.s clutch. Your transmission will not like a race clutch at all. I'm in the processes of swapping in a 5 speed in my turbo legacy. I am using a stock fly wheel and stock r.s clutch. I have a full standalone, td04 (18psi), intercooler, exhaust ect. The Stock r.s clutch should handle my mods. Your n/a 2.2 only puts out 135 hp so a race clutch inst really needed.

just my thought

Edit: If memory servers me right all n/a flywheels and clutches will work with each other. The same thing goes with the turbo flywheel/clutch. You can't use a turbo clutch on a n/a flywheel and vise versa.
Wait you just said you have boost which would mean you have a turbo, and confirmed what I thought that turbos have push clutches and N/A have cable and they can not be mixed and matched. Did you aftermarket turbo a N/A engine then?

Mister Anderson wrote: http://www.jcwhitney.com/exedy-oem-repl ... 936y2000j1

Hmm, even though I will be autocross racing and some times have a bad tendency to burn the clutch a bit when engaging at high rpms? I was thinking that a stage 1 clutch would last a bit longer to the sporty driving and Autocross racing I will be putting it through. But if you don't see the point of it I may as well stick with a stock Exedy clutch.

This is a quote from Exedy about stage 1 clutches.
"Exedy Stage 1 clutch is great for the customer looking for a very smooth engaging clutch that is going to drive similar to the OEM unit but capable to handle moderate levels of modifications. This is a great option for the “street driver”."
http://www.exedyusa.com/documents/How%2 ... sports.pdf

Also 9lbs! Geese that seems almost too light. I read the stock flywheel is like 22lbs.
Wouldn't there be some big trade offs going that light for daily driving?

I guess I am still not sure about lightweight flywheel advantages vs disadvantages.
Brian

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Brisky wrote:
Mister Anderson wrote:Just stick with the stock r.s clutch. Your transmission will not like a race clutch at all. I'm in the processes of swapping in a 5 speed in my turbo legacy. I am using a stock fly wheel and stock r.s clutch. I have a full standalone, td04 (18psi), intercooler, exhaust ect. The Stock r.s clutch should handle my mods. Your n/a 2.2 only puts out 135 hp so a race clutch inst really needed.

just my thought

Wait you just said you have boost which would mean you have a turbo, and confirmed what I thought that turbos have push clutches and N/A have cable and they can not be mixed and matched. Did you aftermarket turbo a N/A engine then?

Mister Anderson wrote: http://www.jcwhitney.com/exedy-oem-repl ... 936y2000j1

Hmm, even though I will be autocross racing and some times have a bad tendency to burn the clutch a bit when engaging at high rpms? I was thinking that a stage 1 clutch would last a bit longer to the sporty driving and Autocross racing I will be putting it through. But if you don't see the point of it I may as well stick with a stock Exedy clutch.

This is a quote from Exedy about stage 1 clutches.
"Exedy Stage 1 clutch is great for the customer looking for a very smooth engaging clutch that is going to drive similar to the OEM unit but capable to handle moderate levels of modifications. This is a great option for the “street driver”."
http://www.exedyusa.com/documents/How%2 ... sports.pdf

Also 9lbs! Geese that seems almost too light. I read the stock flywheel is like 22lbs.
Wouldn't there be some big trade offs going that light for daily driving?

I guess I am still not sure about lightweight flywheel advantages vs disadvantages.

My Legacy SS came with an auto. I could not source a turbo transmission so I picked up a 2000 Impreza N/A tranny for 130 bucks at the local Pick-N-Pull.

The R.S 2.5 clutch has more clamping force then a stock N/A 2.2 clutch. If you want a stage 1 then by all means get one but it might not be necessary on a 2.2 N/A.

9 pounds might be too light but that fly wheel is super cheap lol. A 12 pound might be better.

A light weight flywheel can help with acceleration, faster reving, and faster shifting but doesn't really increase HP/TQ( Someone please corrected me if I am wrong.) I looked into a light weight fly wheel but decided not to get one for daily driving. It would be a plus for racing though.

http://rusubaru.com/subaru-clutch-selection/

http://www.se-r.net/engine/light_flywheels.html
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Mister Anderson wrote:
My Legacy SS came with an auto. I could not source a turbo transmission so I picked up a 2000 Impreza N/A tranny for 130 bucks at the local Pick-N-Pull.

The R.S 2.5 clutch has more clamping force then a stock N/A 2.2 clutch. If you want a stage 1 then by all means get one but it might not be necessary on a 2.2 N/A.

9 pounds might be too light but that fly wheel is super cheap lol. A 12 pound might be better.

A light weight flywheel can help with acceleration, faster reving, and faster shifting but doesn't really increase HP/TQ( Someone please corrected me if I am wrong.) I looked into a light weight fly wheel but decided not to get one for daily driving. It would be a plus for racing though.

http://rusubaru.com/subaru-clutch-selection/

http://www.se-r.net/engine/light_flywheels.html
Nice.
So it is safe to say that a 98 2.5 RS Impreza OEM clutch will indeed be a direct fit for my 93 Legacy?

If so I will probably buy this one off amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-KSB04-OEM-R ... &carId=004

Yeah I really want a light weight flywheel just for Autocross racing, but I can not find one at the happy 12-13lbs weight that does not cost $300 to $400. I will keep looking though.

Thank you for those articles and your help!

Edit:
I found this guy for $235. Seems like the cheapest I will find.
http://www.amazon.com/ACT-Advanced-Tech ... 771&sr=8-1
Last edited by Brisky on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Hmm that flywheel might actually be 25lbs.
As the model # matches this one on amazon and it is 25lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Fidanza-110001-Bu ... 461&sr=1-6
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a quick note. The older turbo transmissions use a "pull" clutch setup, not a "push" clutch setup. The push style clutch setup can be both cable or hydraulic.

Around 06, the WRX came with a push style clutch setup.

Regarding a LW flywheel, it does help the engine rev up quicker, but it can be a pain to drive the car, especially in city driving.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:Just a quick note. The older turbo transmissions use a "pull" clutch setup, not a "push" clutch setup. The push style clutch setup can be both cable or hydraulic.

Around 06, the WRX came with a push style clutch setup.
Yeah that's why I was thinking to go with a 98-01 2.5 RS Clutch and flywheel.

Can you confirm that it works on the 2.2L engine?

Legacy777 wrote:Regarding a LW flywheel, it does help the engine rev up quicker, but it can be a pain to drive the car, especially in city driving.
Yeah, that's what I have heard, but mostly only if you go super light.
The one I was looking at was about 13lbs. So that one sounds like it should be a happy medium, or do you think that will make city driving pretty bad still?

This is my daily driver car, and I do live in a bigish city.
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah the 2.5 flywheel and clutch should work fine on the 2.2. I recommend just getting a 2.5 flywheel & clutch/pp. That way you know everything will work, vs trying to mix and match 2.2 & 2.5 stuff.

I'm running a 14 lbs flywheel and yes it still makes driving kind of annoying. I haven't decided whether I'm going to go with a LW flywheel when I do my 6spd swap. I'm leaning towards just going with a stock one, or just having the stock one lightened slightly and balanced.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah the 2.5 flywheel and clutch should work fine on the 2.2. I recommend just getting a 2.5 flywheel & clutch/pp. That way you know everything will work, vs trying to mix and match 2.2 & 2.5 stuff.
Forgive me (cause this sounds kind of weird to ask) what is "pp"?

Port and Polish?

Oh and thank you for clearing up that it indeed will work.
No one has yet come flat out and said yest 2.5rs oem and flywheel will work with a 2.2 engine.
Thanks!
Brian

Mister Anderson
First Gear

Yeah it works. That's exactly what I used in my M/T tranny swap.
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

Brisky wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:Yeah the 2.5 flywheel and clutch should work fine on the 2.2. I recommend just getting a 2.5 flywheel & clutch/pp. That way you know everything will work, vs trying to mix and match 2.2 & 2.5 stuff.
Forgive me (cause this sounds kind of weird to ask) what is "pp"?

Port and Polish?

Oh and thank you for clearing up that it indeed will work.
No one has yet come flat out and said yest 2.5rs oem and flywheel will work with a 2.2 engine.
Thanks!
I thinking he was saying pressure plate.
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, pp = pressure plate
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:Yup, pp = pressure plate
Alrighty. Cool.

So I got the Exedy clutch kit and the ACT lightweight flywheel.
It probably won't be installed for a few weeks.

I assume the kit comes with a new Pressure Plate?
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would think it should...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:I would think it should...
Yeah I think it should too.
I haven't opened the box yet. :lol:
Brian

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Hello,

Thought I would update this thread to let you guys know how everything went.

First off, two Saturdays ago I was suppose to work with my friend on replacing the clutch, but that got canceled since, he could not find anyone to watch his kids.

Low and behold that same day my clutch burned out and exploded all over inside the housing.
It happened while I was about 25 miles out of town, 8 pm at night with the girlfriend in the car.
One of those great moments where we get to share an an experience together. =)

Anyways, I had it towed to a shop and had them use all my parts and replace the clutch for me.
It took 3 cans of brake parts cleaner to clean off all the housing.
He seems to have done a good job, but getting used to the new lightweight flywheel is taking time.
I just about have it down pad now, but its a tender balance between too little to keep the engine going or too much to launch the car. =]

All in all I am happy with the replacement.

Parts that were installed/replaced:

Exedy OEM 2.5RS Clutch Kit
ACT Lightweight Flywheel for 2.5RS
Subaru OEM Clutch Bolts
Subaru OEM Clutch Fork
Subaru OEM Spring and Clips
Subaru OEM Valve Cover Gaskets and
Subaru OEM PCV Valve
Subaru OEM Rear Main Seal
NGK Spark Plug Wires
NGK V Power Copper Spark Plugs

There might be some more misc parts I missed, but that's most of em.

Only the clutch parts and valve covers did I have the shop do.
Car drives like it wants to go fast all the time now.
Lots more power with a clutch that doesn't slip too.

Thanks again guys for all your help in selecting the appropriate parts to use. =)

Next on the list is installing 04 Sti Struts, a 18mm rear sway bar and my new Thule roof rack. =D
Brian

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Here are some pics of the old burned out clutch.

You can see that the clutch had zero fibers left on it, it was just the metal plates.
I wish the mechanic would not have left them in the boxes without a plastic bag around them or something.
It left quite a gross mess in my trunk that I still haven't been able to fully clean off. =/

Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Brisky wrote:One of those great moments where we get to share an an experience together. =)
You tell her, this will just make our relationship stronger honey..... :)

Yeah the lw flywheel takes a little bit to get used to. I'm undecided whether I'm going to go back with one when I do my 6spd swap. It's just a pain to drive in the city.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:
Brisky wrote:One of those great moments where we get to share an an experience together. =)
You tell her, this will just make our relationship stronger honey..... :)

Yeah the lw flywheel takes a little bit to get used to. I'm undecided whether I'm going to go back with one when I do my 6spd swap. It's just a pain to drive in the city.
Yeah I am sure I told her something like that.
Also told her that it helped to confirm all my bad luck with cars. =P

The LW flywheel is not too bad now that I have gotten used to it.

The really only hard part still is using reverse, since you never usually give much gas in reverse, so it wants to die more easily. I tend to use the whole middle ground of barely engaging the clutch to make it work. I am going super slow in reverse when I do it, so hopefully it doesn't really hurt anything. :lol:
Brian

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You get used to it for sure. I have the 9 lb flywheel and I like it but I don't get stuck in traffic or I'd hate it. Reverse isn't a problem for me. It's mainly just trying to take off slowly and smoothly, especially with females in the car.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've got a 14lb. 9 lb would super suck!

What I may do on the 6spd is get a stock flywheel and have it lightened and balanced a little bit. Most of the LW flywheels for the 6spd are all 9 lbs and I do NOT want a 9 lb flywheel in the city.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

Question same topic. The clutch is going in our 94L. Well at least I believe so, motor revs, car doesnt accelerate, well decently anyway. I am going to upgrade to a stock 98-01 RS clutch as well. Do I have to buy the RS flywheel and pp? Is it merely advised? Car has 120k on it. thanks
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

2.5 RS pressure plate bolts right up to stock L flywheel.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)