randomiams 1993 Legacy SS with bonus TW action within!

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

randomiam
Second Gear

Re: randomiams 1993 Legacy SS with bonus TW action within!

Post by randomiam »

Well.. took some time to install it last night/today, had to bypass a pin & switch the trigger wires but I got the dis-2 installed. That box is huge. I stuffed it behind the driver side strut tower on the firewall. I'm getting a bit better at wiring stuff & soldering.

Its currently wired directly into my diamond coil pack. I would have liked to go snag a male coil pack plug at the junk yard from another legacy but they are all closed on Sunday here. I basically wired it so I can unplug it still, I just have to toss a different coil pack on to go to stock.

I'm also testing liquid electrical tape as a blackout alternative to electrical tape. Its holding to the chrome well but its really ugly, I'm doing a small portion in multiple coats as a test before I consider doing the rest.

this thing is large. MS-DIS 2 HO
Center is Postive, the other two are triggers, same with the plug on my engine harness
Saturday nights!
Subaru-less
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice one patrick!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I changed the spark gap from .035 to .042 today.. It feels a bit better now. I know people (I think Legacy777) runs his with the msd at stock gap but logic tells me .042 should be fine given the changes.

Electrical gremlins suck. My tail light running lights (tail light illumination while lights are on) and dash lights & parking light all don't work.. I think I've isolated the problem.. sort of;

The fuses are good (engine bay & near ecu)
The relay sounds like its working.. I swapped it with another a while back but that didn't solve the issue then.
The illumination control unit is good

Tail lights are getting power, brake lights and everything else works. I have to get more acquainted with this multimeter.

Going to replace my oem o2 sensor and move it closer to the stock location this weekend.
Subaru-less
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I run mine at .044" gap with the MSD DIS-2.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Soo..

I rewired my wideband setup.

Picked up a new o2 Sensor, a bosch universal one; NA sensor but it doesn't matter. I put it in the o2 bung I have in the 2 position about 12inchs back from turbo outlet. Simple to wire in.. Seems like car likes the current sensor location better than the previous one; down at the base of the downpipe.

I was thinking the sensor & location weren't helping the ecu, it would throw out a code on extended highway trips and I figured this in turn would help the revtronix run proper; but it didn't.

Swapped in another NA Jecs maf and still no difference.

I made the mistake of swapping my stock ECU back in without disconnecting the battery. I had boost set at around 16psi with my manual boost controller as it should be appropriate running my revtronix chip during testing-- I reverted the ECU & MAF back to stock so I could head to a dentist appointment

I wasn't hitting the 13psi fuel cut.. When I was in boost it would hit 15/16 before I would let off and back off not knowing what was going on witht the fuel cut level

AFR at idle during this was around 14.2-~14.5 with things dipping pretty rich in boost to 10/11

and yeah, I eventually found fuel cut, 18psi

Soooo.. Theories? some of the temporary fuel tables/trims got overwritten or.. I don't think its as simple as the fuel cut function being wacked out, its still there. I have a hunch this will all change with an ECU reset; pretty weird stuff

to recap:
TD04/ Cleaned/flowtested 440s/Stock MAF/ECU, no fuel cut defender etc

Took it for another spin with my room mate; Still AFR between 14-15 and no signs of lean under boost.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I think the above scenerio can be recreated, but it reset on me with a dead battery. I think I burnt up my wideband sensor >_<.. Will troubleshoot later. I don't know how I averaged 22MPG hwy on my current setup this weekend, but I did.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I made a sort of copper plate insulator for my wideband but I have my doubts about its effectiveness. the current sensor is toast.. the good news?

Most of the widebands use this sensor: the Bosch 17014 - $50-$60 locally isn't bad. The plug is the same and everything, no splicing needed.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BOS0/17014.oap

Gonna get that back in before the weekend.. I don't really like messing with tune/boost related things without mine going anymore, fingers crossed it lasts a little longer.
Subaru-less
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Wow! Thanks for the link. That is identical to the one I got from Zeitronix and appears to have the longer tail/wiring as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yep, when I had my Innovate LC1s I bought those as replacements and can confirm they work perfectly.
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I kind of hit pause for most of April on my spending on the SS. Replaced my wide band, discovered a fuel leak from my filler neck, and more boost!

I guess I've come to the conclusion that a TD04 isn't really an upgrade over a VF11 unless you are able to (safely) boost into the mid teens.. The efficiency range is just slightly different despite being similar sized turbos; Probably why the TD04 runs at 14PSI on WRX's from the factory as opposed to 10/11 we run it at to avoid fuel cut issue

so, <12PSI I'd rather have a VF11 than a TD04
Subaru-less
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It's a nice turbo running a JDM ecu & 440's ;). Seeing how fast it spooled up on my 2.0L I'd imagine it'd be near instant boost on a 2.2. :)
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

It's very similar to the stock VF11, so it does spool pretty early.
It also runs out of headroom at a very similar point to the VF11 as Patrick found out.
Just toss it and get a TD05-16g... :-D
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I bit the bullet and decided to try running the revtronix chipped ecu again. I barely drive my car so I figured it wouldn't hurt to toss it in and see if it would normalize a bit on the occasional errand run etc.. It was bad at first (too lean), but it feels and seems like its settling down and he AFR's are calming down a bit.. Still experimenting.

Boost is set at around 16PSI right now and its pretty fun and safe. I'm gonna have a TD05-16G in there by late July for sure.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I think I need to look into a catch can or some sort of filter to help keep oil out of my intake. I was fighting with my y-pipe and elbow to y pipe fittings as they were compromised under lots of boost.. I fixed it and then I blew off the line going to my pressure exchange solenoid but didn't realize it at first and was having terrible thoughs.

Revtronix is dead to me. I'm done messing around it with it.

I'm upping the boost a bit with a restrictor to my exchange solenoid for a little bit, 15ish PSI, pretty safe as far as my wideband suggests. I'm running 440s and a TD04, for what its worth.

My driver side right brake has been pissing me off. It kind of seized up on me and its not really the first time I've had to deal with it on our cars. I pulled it apart and greased the slide pins/replaced pads and bled things. Its fixed. I didn't turn or replace my rotors. This is only a stop gap, I'm replacing the fronts in the very near future.

I live super close to Pacific Raceways so we try and check out some of the events. My room mate and I wanted to try the test and tune and see what we would do on the quarter mile as we've both never done it but my windshield is cracked and won't pass tech. I probably would have broke stuff anyway.

Cobb 10sec STI

Legacy Turbo serving as gear storage while my room mate ran his integra.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Fixed my brake caliper issue on driver side. Removed pads, caliper, greased slides and replaced pad, bled and so far so good, no sign of sticking. Didn't put too much time into doing the brakes proper because I'm bolting up more stopping power in the very near future.

Installed a pretty decent budget sound system.
Spare JVC deck I had with Aux.. Used my 1.5 pocket so it fits awesome.
Polk P651's F&R, had to get a bit creative with mounting in the rear and drill a few new holes.
Alpine amp & Type R 12" Sub.. Smaller box.

Was definitely a bit of a learning experience. Sounds pretty awesome and I'm happy.

Ran the positive down driver side, was pretty simple. Other cables & remote though center of car to trunk. Trunk is still messy and needs to be cleaned up a bit.

Pulled the trigger on replacing my windshield, they came and did it while I was at work. My room mate watched them do most of it and there was surface rust near the seals etc.. This concerns me a bit. They grinded it out and primered it.. I guess I don't normally do that.

Kinda paranoid about the rust thing near windshield. Nothing is more annoying than a leaking windshield. Maybe our sunroof.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

so.. progress.

Sound stuff is squared away; old speakers literally had massive holes in them.

Wrapped up stereo install and did a thorough wash
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

The brief brake work to aid my stuck caliper.. nifty little bleed bottle with a magnet.. Still requires a buddy.

Got the DW300 Fuel pump.. Was a good deal, hopefully its the last time I need to deal with my fuel pump. I was running stocker and it worked fine, but an upgrade was needed for more power.

Its quite a bit smaller- I noticed noise at first but now I don't really. Pretty much plug and play. My garbage cans double as work benchs on sunny days.
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Got tired of having a backup vehicle that i'd need to fiddle with so I grabbed this guy:

95/4eat/2.2.. I have put about 900 miles on it already, I'm pretty happy with it.

I need a backup for when I install things like this:

:D
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Bought it off someone who either cut it or had it cut to use on a later EJ turbo motor with the underneath intake bit.. I was at first under the impression that they issued the TD05H with and without the 90 degree outlet but it seems that may not be so? Either way, this was definitely cut as it has little cues and it doesn't give as much surface area to clamp a 90 on to as I would like.

Quick mockup: Image

Used the TD04 elbow I had, not as good of a fit and it can slip if not careful. If this becomes an issue I may look into welding a 90 on it.

The TD04 Left, TD05 right-- I flipped the coolant inlet and reused my old oil feeder line and banjo bolt- I was a little concerned about this is it safe to reuse the oil feeder and banjo bolt? seems to fit fine and I haven't run it long enough to note any issue yet.
Surgery:
Before:

After

The TD05 is in-- damn thats a clusterfuck of PCV and Vaccuum lines. Fired right up with no boost/vacuum leaks/oil/coolant aside from having to burp the system and fill it up a bit after it pissed all over my garage. I haven't run it above 8psi and only took it around the block... I think I messed up my wideband sensor connection again. Having a TD04/intercooler already setup made the jump to a TD05 install pretty painless.

Next step: robtune!
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

brief bump, slowed a little bit spending.

Fresh non winter tires went on back in may.. I finally found a clean stock hood in my color code! YEAH! I'll be installing that and some other goodies in the near future. Currently running the revtronix pretty reliably at around 14psi but it cuts a bit at 5000rpm so I don't go too nuts, its just a bit of temperary fun. I believe it to be a safeguard of the ecu and I haven't hooked up a revscan cable to see what its doing. Runs not lean and quicker so I'm happy enough for now.

if I stop spending on other stuff I may have the tune sorted before wcss.

TD05 is an awesome turbo, I endorse it :D
Subaru-less
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Told ya!
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

randomiam wrote:I believe it to be a safeguard of the ecu
Not true, it shouldn't do that. Something is wrong.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I see you made your own heat sink for the wideband.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

Are you sure Alphius? from the revtronix legacy thread:

• There is also a safety fuel cut when things get really bad at ~1.5 g/s load.

I haven't hooked a revs can cable up with proper software to log and check parameters. It hits a not abrupt cut of sorts at 4800-5500 depending on the boost level; its unlike factory fuel cut. My AFR numbers are always safe, but now I'm a little more curious. I blamed the cut on this-- it only does it under engine load, not at idle.

& yeah, little copper sheet seems to work okay so far, a few months, My power sequence for the sensor itself wasn't really ideal before so that's another possible reason my last 02 burnt out so quick. I mistakenly let it run warmed up all night :/
Subaru-less
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

derp.

I have slowed on the car. Too busy with summer stuff. Front and rear strut tower bars installed.. Need to address my strut situation in the coming months. Need to install my lsd. Broke my alternator.. Having it refurbed locally for cheap.
Subaru-less