Negative camber alignment with no RSB?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tsubie
In Neutral

Negative camber alignment with no RSB?

Post by Tsubie »

I'm thinking of setting my alignment at -1.0 all the way around. I'm getting some wearing on the outsides of tires and want to limit uneven wear.

I have no RSB ('93 L), and have stock suspension with 200k miles. Current alignment is .2 positive camber! :shock: Air pressure usually around 40 PSi warm.
I'm not sure if I'm keeping it, or plan to sell the car in the near future for an Impreza OBS when the right one comes around so I don't really want to replace struts etc, just looking for some better handling in the meantime, and evening out tire wear.

My questions are: Is it even worth trying to get better handling on original struts and no RSB (rear sway bar) or should I just cool it with fun driving for now? Have any of you non-RSB owners had luck with this?

Will negative camber help any with body roll issues? Seems like body roll is helping to topple over the 0 camber tires resulting in using outside edge and partial sidewall for hard cornering. Will negative camber help with this, or is that on the RSB, struts, or better tires to do that?

Is -1 front and back noticeable over say -1 front and -.5 rear? Just trying to figure the difference in alignment numbers when it comes to no RSB.

Thanks in advance.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
25th year anniversary edition
Phoenician Blue Metallic #227
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Negative camber alignment with no RSB?

Post by Legacy777 »

I run -1.0 camber all the way around and would recommend it. Since the rear does not have the camber bolts, it may be difficult to get that.

More negative camber will help tire grip under cornering, but won't help with the body roll. If you're planning to get rid of the car in the near future and don't want to spend any or more money than you have to I would suggest trying the alignment and just watching how you drive.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tsubie
In Neutral

Post by Tsubie »

Thanks Josh,
I'll have to look into it to find out the maximum you can go on the rears without any modification.

Funny thing happened when I actually checked my old alignment sheet. It's...
FRONT: Left +0.3 Right 0.0
REAR: Left -0.4 Right -0.6

So combine that with me running 2lbs less always in the rear tires, I guess I'm already set up tail happy?

I realize the most help would come from better struts/springs, tires, and RSB, so I have a feeling this may be as far as I go with this for now.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I like to have more negative camber up front vs the rear. In your case it will be especially helpful, because without a rear swaybar you have way more weight transfer and roll up front, so you need more negative camber to balance it out and maintain good tread contact.

Since the only stock adjustment is front camber there isn't a whole lot you can do. Basically, just set both fronts to max negative, and loosen everything and shove on it to take out the slack in the holes front and rear. That might get you to over -1 up front and close to there in the rear. You won't need to worry about tire wear as long as the toe is straight.

Also, more negative camber will give you more cornering grip, and therefore more body roll.
Tsubie
In Neutral

Post by Tsubie »

Thanks Jamal. Sounds like more (any) negative front camber is definitely what I'm needing! When I was re reading your sway bar write-up, I realized just how much body roll falls into the swaybar category so that would obviously be a major improvement! I'll probably go more negative camber up front for now and think about rsb, struts, & tires.
93 Legacy L- 5spd wagon