car wont start, error code help

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

EJ20impreza
In Neutral

car wont start, error code help

Post by EJ20impreza »

So early today i got out and start my car and move it so i can shovel some of the 2+ feet of snow around it. Everything works fine.

A couple hours later I try to start it and it wont start. It started once for a couple seconds, then died. Now it cranks but wont start. I'm pretty sure its not a fuel problem. Im getting error code 55 but the list i have doesnt have that number listed.

Does anybody know what the error code 55 is for OBD-I subarus?

thanks
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

There is no code 55, Legacy777's site doesn't have one and neither does my Haynes manual, try double-checking the code...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

My factory service manual doesn't list a code 55 either, but all of the references we've mentioned are for US model cars, none if which have an EJ20.
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

Wow actually i triple checked the code. What in the world is going on...? I'll look again in the morning.

Actually im using the EJ18 ecu, so i would think it uses the standard OBD-I that most US subarus use. All the other codes i've seen have been on Legacy777's site.
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Clear the codes......or better yet, connect the green & black connectors for the d-check mode and see what happens......if it detects a fault some where.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

This is probably no help at all, but the guide at http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/Manual/mi ... codes.html says that on some Subaru engines, error code 55 meant a problem with the "
"EGR Temperature Sensor or Circuit." The same section of the chart includes codes relevant to Imprezas, so maybe an EJ18 ECU uses that code too.
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

Thanks for sharing that! It really was code 55. But I dont know if that really was the problem though. I cleaned up the spark plugs and reset the ECU and it starts and runs better. The plugs were pretty fouled. Thanks again!
Noah
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap