My First Trip to the Drag strip with the Legacy

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NemesisEJ22t
First Gear

My First Trip to the Drag strip with the Legacy

Post by NemesisEJ22t »

Well, i ran my car at Pittsburgh Raceway Park last night for the first time, and i am fairly happy with my results. My best time was a 15.708 @ 86.08 MPH. My 60' time was a 2.226 which is pretty good for what i'm doing I think. I was surprised at how much you can feel the AWD hurting the performance of 3rd gear. The launches seemed to be really good, except for one where i bogged the engine and pulled a 2.5 60'. The car was running 14-15 psi with the Saab 900 IC, vrg3's FCD, and a MBC. Those are all the mods i have done so far. The clutch was slipping pretty badly on the way home so i am thinking that i might have better results when i replace that. All in all, considering the mods i've done, i think it was a pretty good showing. I'll try to scan the slips for you guys sometime soon and post them up.
Ben
91 Celica All-Trac @ 0 psi (turbo being installed)

92 Celica Turbo FWD (swap) @ 12 psi HOLY CRAP!!! I miss AWD
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Cool. Ya, you better get that fixed before the Legacy meet at Beaver Springs! ;)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
NemesisEJ22t
First Gear

Post by NemesisEJ22t »

Don't worry, i'll have it working fine as soon as i get the Celica running again. I don't have the garage space with the Celica on jackstands in there and i'm sure my parents would love to have a second non working car occupying the garage. If i have the money i will also have a bigger turbo for it by beaver springs.
Ben
91 Celica All-Trac @ 0 psi (turbo being installed)

92 Celica Turbo FWD (swap) @ 12 psi HOLY CRAP!!! I miss AWD
Chi_San
In Neutral

Post by Chi_San »

Needs WRX flywheel, clutch assembly. ;)

Or do you have one already?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Back the boost down! On a stock exhaust, 14 - 15psi is COOKING everything. There is a TON of backpressure with that much boost and the stock exhaust can't handle it all.

Drop the boost and you'll see lower EGT's and lower cylinder temps. The car will run cooler, and you'll have less of a risk of detonation.

The WRX clutch and Flywheel is a great idea. I have an Exedy Stage 1 in my car, and it made the car feel COMPLETELY different.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Chi_San
In Neutral

Post by Chi_San »

I almost bough a 1992 SVX and swapped a WRX tranny into it. :p

For the track, you should just run straight pipes. But, if you're going to use it for your daily driver, uh, that might not be a good idea.

At least he's getting better torque from all of that backpressure. :p
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Lol, that's not how backpressure works. Backpressure making torque is a myth. Backpressure is the enemy of an exhaust system.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have to agree, you might back down the boost- until you get a better exhaust. I am holding mine at the 7-8 until I do the complete 3' system for intake and exhaust. While the Intercooler will help, and the mbc/fcd can get you to the 14-15, its not breathing better.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

People think backpressure makes low end torque because they don't understand pulse tuning and then these statements get passed around until it's accepted as fact without question. On a turbo engine I don't see how it could be of any help at all.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.