how thick

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

how thick

Post by azn2nr »

how thick are the saab 900 cores? and would a fmic thats 30" X 6" X 2" be good to cool a 15psi pluss charge down enough. ive found one for a pretty good price and am wondering if you guys think it would be worth it
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Without going out to my garage or my car to check, I seem to recall them being around 3" thick.

An IC that large, you should have no problem with 15psi.

Where are you getting the IC and how much?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

off ebay their all less than 200 some of them are like 27x9x2.75 cores. http://www.johnnyracecar.com/

the dude makes them himself and has a 100% feedback on over 600 sales
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

forget I said anything....... :oops: I'm sure it works but i don't think there is any need for it to be that long, its better than a top mount anyway...
Last edited by rsstiboy on Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Hmm, when you said he made them himself, I was skeptical but those look legit.

hmmmmmmmmm...................

No, bad phil! No more money! NO! NOO NO NO NO NO! Shit, i'll probably end up doing it sometime in the near future.

"Mom, can you get me an intercooler for my birthday?"

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Only downside I can see is the small inlet and outlet pipe diameters. A 3" OD inlet and outlet would make me feel a lot better.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

2.5" OD isn't too bad really. The Saab 900 units are only 2 1/4" OD so at least it's better then that. That unit should flow pretty well too since it's nice and straight through.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

2.5" od isnt really that bad because when talking to the guys down at cobb tuning they said 3" is really pushing it space wise for tubing
-jason
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

3" would allow the use for press-bent tubing instead of the expensive mandrel sections that need to be welded in place. With 3" OD pipe, there's no need to worry about the pipe being mandrel pressed down to 2.75 or 2.5" ID. With a 2.5" pipe, there's a chance that it will be pressed to narrow.

Strictly from a cost standpoint, I'd like to see 3" OD end tanks.

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

or you could find a exaust shop with a mandrel bender.

oh and phill i think you ment "pipe being pressed down to 2.75." mandrel doesnt decreace the diam size.

and back to my original question. how thick are the saab 900 cores
-jason
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

like 2.5 inches...

Those ic's arn't too great, you can get much better tube+fin ic's for similar pricing. or, you can go to a bar and plate setup and get some real cooling...
dirt-covered 91 SS prorally
pat richard roll cage, DMS 50mm, stickers...
SOLD :(

99 impreza RS
ver. 7 sti swap, ver. 6 RA suspension, JDM bodywork, rotated GT28rs
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

aspect wrote:Those ic's arn't too great, you can get much better tube+fin ic's for similar pricing. or, you can go to a bar and plate setup and get some real cooling...
if there are any i havent seen them. cheapest bar and plate ive see were 350 bucks
-jason