Zach's Legacy FrankenSTIn TW

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

ericem wrote:
Im just saying IMO for our cars it is. As there is alot of work needed to run anything but stock EM with a chip. Obviously its not brutally fast, but a td04 is a td04 and its goes as fast as a td04 will :-D

If its not firing, its not firing! That's the problem, find out why it's not firing!! Of course your running on 3 cylinders if its not firing. Don't on to the other problems that could be. What wire from the ecu goes to the coil which is related to spark on cylinder 4? Trace it.
Not necessarily... To run a Link all you need to do is cut the wires from: the injectors, the coolant temp sensor, the ignitor, and the TPS connect them to the Link Wiring Harness... Then tap into the crank and cam sensor wiring and run it to the Link and lastly run a Vacuum Line to the Link.

Done. Link G3 Installed and you can do a HELLUVA a lot more than the Revtronix Chip (Stage 2, the user-tunable on isnt out yet so doenst count because its not a viable option atm).

And a td0-FAIL is SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

ya , but how much is a link :)
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Used? 600-900 ish. some more some less
But you have full control over everything.
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Not bad, hmm... Pretty good option then, I see why people went with it. Hopefully revtroni releases that user tuneable chip. Just hoping there is more interest so it will encourage them to bring it out earlier. I think it is difficult to find info on there chip. There should also be a sticky on this site related to revtronix in the electrical or engine .

Like if I go search things like subaru legacy turbo chip you will never find revtronix!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

cool yeah great its not my build thread or anything..... :P lolzorz

but sneriously,
this is a repost so my information is easier to find for the people who are helping me this week.
Current Issues:

Possibly all coils are not on the plugs because they suck
- really Frankenstein self explanatory situation

no spark/firing on cylinder 4:
-has to be wiring or bad spark plug related...

driving on 3 cylinders:
- could be a part of the reason above or it would get expensive and i would need to do engine (internal) business.

Car dies when i pull it out of gear to decelerate:
- could be related to the Idle air controller setup in the aem, or most likely its related to the fact that i am on either 2 or 3 cylinders right now/ the fuel weirdness.

Exhaust leak:
- if it was in the headers or somewhere...anywhere.. that would explain the loss of alot of things maybe.[/quote]
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

WRX coils use a power, ground and signal ground wire. There is no need to double ground anything. You can take the coil pack out of the cylinder and shove a spark plug in it. Then touch the end of the plug to a grounded surface to see if it sparks while cranking. It should be regular and sharp spark. You should literally be able to see the spark from several feet away.

While you do this make sure to unplug all the injectors because you A) don't want it to start and B) dont want to wash you cylinders with gas.

If you have been driving on a cylinder with no spark but has fuel you will want to check the oil for gas. Pull the dip stick and smell it. If it smells like gas, drain the oil and replace it. Do not drive on it until you figure the dead cylinder out. You are only increasing bearing wear if you are washing the cylinders.

The AEM and all setups have issues with bad grounds. If your grounds are on to painted surfaces or surfaces that have contact with painted surfaces causing a poor ground you can have moving timing and loss of power or poor spark. Check all grounds.

You do not need a knock sensor on a standalone setup. It will not pull timing or change anything with it plugged in. You can add and tune with a knock sensor but it will not cause this kind of issue on a standalone setup.

And if all that fails and you do decide to sell this setup or parts of it, let me know. I'm always in the market for toys.
The Powers in the Teal
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

smh0101 wrote:Not necessarily... To run a Link all you need to do is cut the wires from: the injectors, the coolant temp sensor, the ignitor, and the TPS connect them to the Link Wiring Harness... Then tap into the crank and cam sensor wiring and run it to the Link and lastly run a Vacuum Line to the Link.

Done. Link G3 Installed and you can do a HELLUVA a lot more than the Revtronix Chip (Stage 2, the user-tunable on isnt out yet so doenst count because its not a viable option atm).

And a td0-FAIL is SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW
There's a little more involved than just that to retain near stock functionality with the ECU. Here's my ECU I-O for the Link ECU wiring

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... p_rev6.xls

I agree whole heartedly a stand alone will give you much more configurability. However setting everything up just right is not an easy task....ask me ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Well you can leave the stock ecu in the car and just do what I said... and it will all work just fine and you wont have any issues while maintaining some stock functionality...
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Update:

i have everything all taken apart right now, and i will be changing the oil...which does smell like fuel.. and re-wiring stuff to get legit spark.

here are some pics of so far:
Image as you can see... cylinders 4 and 2 are clean while 1 and 3 have reeal black goodness.
Imagenapa color match paint FTL lol
Imagewires.... signal i believe
Image ten wires on the left...11 on the right. super! i think this is r00t, in that the signals are not being send correctly.. if at all.. through these wires. power and ground on both coils are legit.
Imagethese are the signal wires for the coils..
Imageand these are the wires going into the coils.

im going to buy soldering stuff now and change teh oil and do all this tonight.

im gunna be soSO stoked if i get back to 4 cylinders, since i was on 2 for the last 1.5 months
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

fixing STILL in progress, we are cleaning and trying to find the signal wire issue that is not sending signal to my coils correctly, and causing there to be 0 spark on cylinders 2 & 4. weirdly enough, 1 & 3 spark huge lightning bolts, even without plugs in them LOL. i wish i had a camera w/ a real fast shutter.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

so i have isolated that it is the signal wire between the AEM and where it goes through the front left (drivers side) fender...

how do i find which wire on the AEM is the signal wire for the 1 or 2 coilpack on cylinders 2 and 4?

reeally hope brydon chimes in.. :smt040
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

basically.. i just need to know what this means.
i dont know how to turn on the syncing, and this is with the car off that these stats are shown.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

possible issues: -
-2 dead coilpacks
- rediculous wiring because of soldering/resistance variances and a bunch of stuff
- signal wiring weirdness to teh coils.
- something with the syncing in teh aem

this is helping me so far: http://www.northursalia.com/modificatio ... rxpin.html
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

When you crank the car does the stat sync'd go from off to on? If so do you get sync errors?

It would be really odd to have two dead coils, solder should never add resistance. Besides the coil needs to just ground and is not that sensitive. Wiring to the coils is easy to check. There should be close to 0ohms in between the coil and AEM on the signal wire. Sync'ing is the most logical because it is the most sensitive and causing problem in many AEMs. Your sync is also setup different than most setups. This might not matter because the AEM varies from car to car. Which is one of the reasons AEM is pushing to be only used by AEM trained tuners.
The Powers in the Teal
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Brydon wrote:When you crank the car does the stat sync'd go from off to on? If so do you get sync errors?

It would be really odd to have two dead coils, solder should never add resistance. Besides the coil needs to just ground and is not that sensitive. Wiring to the coils is easy to check. There should be close to 0ohms in between the coil and AEM on the signal wire. Sync'ing is the most logical because it is the most sensitive and causing problem in many AEMs. Your sync is also setup different than most setups. This might not matter because the AEM varies from car to car. Which is one of the reasons AEM is pushing to be only used by AEM trained tuners.
i need to look into the stat sync the next time i go near it. It (the car)causes me so much stress just thinking about that im getting used to not thinking about it.

in terms of the resistance, there are multiple wires that are chain soldered together which we believe is adding resistance. we have identified/isolated some stuff that i cant explain right now that has to do with the wiring and what we have tried...etc. when we look at it again this week (i hope) :( i will re solder all of our wires together and verify teh stat syncing setup with a video and post it on youtube or something so that you can watch it Brydon. teh problem with me doing it right now is just that the coilpacks are not wired up at all because we decided to eliminate a bunch of possibilities by cutting stuff apart.

i need to know how the signal is being sent and a bunch of other info, like maybe im not getting good signal and spark to the two because of resistance in the wires...

im done thinking about this..updates and more soon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Re: Zach's ABM 94 TW of Doom (

Post by SubaruNation »

Brydon,

Video of the stat syncing + timing errors are here. turn the sound up as i made it on my blackberry. let me know any questions and i will get you answers sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jACBe7UXZGQ

i'm PMing you a large list of information about what we have accomplished and understand thus far.

I'm currently looking to purchase a stock 02-05 wrx wiring harness and ecu so we can redo this setup and get my car back to where it should be. if anyone that is reading this has one i would like it from you :)

thanks,

more to come soon i hope.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

PM sent to you brydon.

hope you get it soon! :D
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ugh still no luck zach? Damn!! Good luck I really wanna see that beast running again. Definately getting closer and closer though :D
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

yeah the deal we are thinking of is replacing the AEM with a 02-05 WRX ECU and engine wiring harness. my tuner (eric...) fell off the face of the planet with getting back to me...fail on his part basically.

i would love some help on this idea from others on here because it seems to be a more reliable... and better way to go as im not going to be running more than 17lbs of boost for a long time.

i will also be in touch with brydon this week :smt082 (YAY!) and he is going to take a look at some of our parameters so maybe a rewire of the wiring harness and ecu wont be necessary.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, if all else fails, I'd just try to get everything that's engine-electrical back to stock. I think it would be easier to go back to stock wiring and whatnot, that way you can rule out any bugs before pointing a finger at the current wiring/AEM.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Yep that's the plan. Stock 02-05 WRX ECU + wiring harness will ideally eliminate anything that could possibly be causing the problem of spark on only one side of the engine...

Also Emailed brydon all the info about an hour ago, hope to hear back soon!
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

I have a random question for you. Who tuned the AEM? That is not the issue but it is interesting to compare styles of tuning to people.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

I believe with the current map, tuning was done by Eric Larson who is out of Phoenix...
I have another one that was done by Domtune also have yet to try either of them on 4 running working cylinders :roll:

Also Brydon i'll respond to your email a little bit later today. :)

responding to your email now brydon
Brydon
In Neutral

Post by Brydon »

You might want to try just downloading another map to the AEM to verify that the map did not get corrupted. Just as a double check. I ran a difference check on your map compared to my L but there was so many differences that it is hard to tell. But my L runs 1200cc injectors and a bunch of different sensors so even the scaling will be different.