Where do I start...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91Leg2.2T
In Neutral

Where do I start...

Post by 91Leg2.2T »

I bought a 91 Legacy turbo sedan from a farmer who used it as his "town runner". The car seems to be in great shape for it's age and milage (147,000+); the engine runs strong, and the transmission doesn't skip a beat. A couple things that I have noticed, most of the under hood hoses are starting to dry rot (air, fuel, oil, coolant); and it seems that the maintenance done on this car was just enough so he could get into town (which tells me this is a good car since not a lot was done to it :lol: ). My questions: 1. Is there any hose kits out there that will replace the under hood hoses? 2. Should I buy an overhaul kit to replace seals that may be past their prime?
I guess I'm looking for any suggestions that will help my Subaru run better and longer. Thanks for any help.
Noodles
In Neutral

Post by Noodles »

dont ya love it when no-one writes back :D hahah sorry man i got no idea bout any replacement hose kits, just felt like posting. How many squid did ur new beast set you back?
E-mail me: www.sex@myplace.cum.ok
91Leg2.2T
In Neutral

Post by 91Leg2.2T »

Thanks for the response...I was starting to feel a little lonely. :lol: I bought it for $250; it's in great shape considering the price, so I know that I can afford to drop a little money into it.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Wow 250 dollars :shock: Hows the body? what color is it?

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

jesus that's cheap, definately put some moolah in that baby. As far as hoses you can try a samco kit for like the impreza or something, but some of them might be in different places, I dunno if there are any hose kits for our cars cause I haven't looked. You can also go up to home depot or something and just buy the sizes you need.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can replace most of the hoses with generic by-the-foot stuff. (Or is it by-the-centimeter where you are? You don't say your location.)

This'll tell you where most of the hoses go and their sizes:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/vacuum/

The fuel hoses are 7.5mm, I believe. I have 5/16" fuel hose on my car. If you replace it be sure to use fuel injection hose and not just regular fuel hose; you need something designed to handle high pressure.

The blowoff valve and IAC valve hoses left out of the vacuum diagram are all 19mm. I don't think generic pieces will work so well here though.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91Leg2.2T
In Neutral

Post by 91Leg2.2T »

LegacyT-The body is in pretty decent shape. A couple of dings here and there and a little rust around the wheel wells. I thought it was black; however, after I cleaned and buffed the paint, I started to see some deep red metallic flakes. So I'll call the color black cherry.

THAWA and vrg3- Thanks for the info on the hoses. I've been looking for a couple months for a kit (since all the hoses are pre-molded it seems), thats what brought me to this site. I knew nothing about Subarus until I bought this car; hopfully, I'll be able to learn quickly. Are late modle Impreza's and Legacy's compatible? Thanks again.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

In what ways compatible? The Impreza was built on a shortened Legacy chassis, so nearly everything is compatible, though there are changes to some things over the years... If you're referring to the hoses, I couldn't tell you. I would doubt that all of them would be compatible, though some would very likely be in common. The turbos and the WRX have to meet different emissions standards and are different engines (SOHC vs. DOHC, different ignition systems, block, etc.).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
91Leg2.2T
In Neutral

Post by 91Leg2.2T »

vrg3- I just went to the link you gave me and I got to say that's some great stuff. That will help alot. As far as my location, I am located in central Missouri.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Many of the molded hoses can be replaced with plain unmolded hose. You'll just have to remember where everything goes because the hose shapes won't be able to remind you.

My car doesn't have a single molded vacuum hose smaller than 10mm on it anymore, for example.

As for late-model Subarus, some hoses will be similar and some won't.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91Leg2.2T
In Neutral

Post by 91Leg2.2T »

evolutionmovement- As far as compatibility, I was just seeing a few references to the Impreza while I was searching the site, I wanted to ask so I would know if I had a wider parts base to look at.

vrg3- I thought I would have to go with the unmolded hose, just wanted to see if there was anything out there. I was looking for a kit 'cause some of those angles in the hoses are pretty sharp, didn't want to bind or restrict any flow.
970subaru
First Gear

Post by 970subaru »

for the bends you can get elbows of many different sizes, angles, and materials. look at a farm supply store, they have tons of cool stuff.
I love to case.
91Leg2.2T
In Neutral

Post by 91Leg2.2T »

Thanks for the tip 970subaru