INTERCOOLED!!! With Perrin IC Pipes

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyPunk
Second Gear

INTERCOOLED!!! With Perrin IC Pipes

Post by LegacyPunk »

So after waiting 3 months I finally get my IC hoses from Perrin :D They're pretty nifty, So I get the hoses all bolted on to the IC and I fit the WRX intercooler into my engine bay and the hose falls a little short of connecting to the turbo. So all I need now is a 90 degree elbow of somesort, something to connect the 2 hoses to each other, and a hose that connects the BOV back to the intake. The 2 things that get in the way are the Igniter, and the Coolant Tank, I moved the igniter by the brake booster and just kind of pushed the coolant tank out of the way for now.
it is an EXTREMELY TIGHT fit

Anyway, Ive been taking pics all along and as soon as I get them developed ill post a guide on how I did everything. Oh yeah, Does it matter where I put the BOV? Should it be as close as possible to the throttle body or could I put it right next to the intake???
Last edited by LegacyPunk on Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Well today I tried a few things, I finally got the IC conected to the throttle body. Then I tried to use PVC pieces to connect it to the turbo, but they came way too close to the turbo's exhaust side for comfort. I think im going to get a radiator hose to connect the turbo to the Perrin IC pipe, Hopefully it wont be too restrictive, but I think it will work, ill take more pics and should have a write up on how to do everything by the end of this week, wish me luck...
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

HOLY S@#T

Post by LegacyPunk »

HOLY S@!#!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

OK, today I Got everything hooked up. I even used a stock WRX BOV, but without that little connector thingy, so it open air. I start her up and everythings fine, and I figured that the WRX BOV's spring is tight enough so that it doesn't leak at idle. It also wasn't running extremely rich. So I take her around the block and floor it.....SOOOO much more kick, it feel's like I just added 50 horses!!!! and my engine growls like it would swallow a Honda whole :twisted: :twisted: . The BOV sounds SWEET!! Next up I cruise my way to the highway and as I merge onto it "PPSSSHHHEEW", something blows. Turns out its the little weak connector I used to connect the PVC elbow to the turbo. So I limp my way home leaking turbo air, staying out of boost, and under 30 MPH. Now I know what to do so ill post pics as soon as they are developed. :D :D :D :D

Questions...Is running an open air BOV bad even if the car idles fine???

I also noticed that when I let off the gas the car kind of slowed down faster, is this just cause the air takes a little longer to get through the IC???

OUR CARS F*@!ING RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Did you do anything to boost on your first use?? Did you raise the boost and feel extra power, or did you leave your boost stock after puting the cooler on and feel that much of a difference by just adding the thing?

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

I kept the boost stock, and felt that much of a difference just by adding the intercooler. The IC had a drop of about 1.5 PSI so at first I was running at 7-8 PSI and I could still feel that much of a difference, then I upped it back to 9-10 PSI and it was even faster! :twisted:
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I need to get an intercooler. :)

I'm still debating getting the RS's Air/Water or going with the black slant Air/Air.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You probably slow down faster from increased engine braking due to higher compression ratio from the increased volume of air.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

There isn't more air when the throttle's closed.

I think it's just that when coasting, the intercooler is pretty much just an intake restriction.

It's odd that your car seems to idle fine with the stock WRX blowoff valve venting to atmosphere. The valve is supposed to be open at idle, since it opens whenever there is manifold vacuum. If you spray some starting fluid or something at the valve when the engine's idling, does it affect the engine's running?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

WRX IC

Post by pjgaerlan »

Did you remove your AC? Please post pics soon. I may end up getting the Version 2 WRX IC but if I can make this one work I may use it. Please email pics to my address when you have them. thanks in advance. I just installed my Saab IC and I'm waiting for a version 2 WRX IC. I don't want to lose my AC

PJ
p.gaerlan@comcast.net
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

NAPA is GOD(of hoses that is :wink: )!! ive pretty much got all the hoses I needed from them. So I got a stronger connector thingy, tightened the HELL out of everything, and everythings fine, nothing blew after a bunch of hard pulls. I think the WRX BOV is going to be just temporary untill I can figure out a way to use the stock one and plum it back to the intake. I took out my entire AC pj, but Im pretty sure you could keep the AC as the only thing that might interfere with the IC is that stupid bent up AC line that runs along the firewall, you could try to run it underneath the IC or over the top.

A few other observations: I seem to be running rich when I let off the gas and just coast, I think this is just the fact that Im running and open atmosphere BOV. Also I would just like to add more emphasis on the growl of the engine when it's WOT, once the power mode kicks in.... :twisted: :twisted: heh heh. can't wait to get it quarter miled. Another thing, my cooling fans don't come on as frequently as the used to, which probably means that the IC is working. Anothing thing I noticed is that the engine doesn't "Whine" after a few hard pulls like it used to.
I am now FASTER than my friends TSi Talon :twisted:
Ill give you an idea of my basic setup: I used a 90 degree PVC elbow that connects to the turbo which then connects to a big flex hose that connects to the Perrin y pipe(might be a little restrictive but it works). I also wrapped the hose with heat shield stuff as it comes close to the exhaust side of the turbo. PICS SHOULD BE UP BY THE END OF THIS WEEK OR SOONER with a little how to guide.....stay tuned.....heh heh "tuned" catch that double meaning?? :wink:
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

Legacy Punk,

please send pics when you have them. I'm trying to figure out if I want to take out my AC for a WRX IC. I am really interested in your IC pipe setup because of the lack of space in there and how the Turbo is clocked at an awkward angle.

I fit my Saab IC but it is kind of ghetto rigged. It seems to stay fairly cool to touch though. After my drive home from work it was still cool. I think it is working. I have lead on a WRX version 2 IC so I can keep my AC.

please email pics to me

PJ
p.gaerlan@comcast.net
impostor
First Gear

Post by impostor »

I also have the usdm wrx intercooler setup. I kept the a/c and used both inlets. I made an adapter which allows me to plumb the stock bypass valve back to the intake. Its essentially the same thing as the ones you can buy, but it points towards the passenger side. If someone can host the pics I have and post them I can email them to you. They can give those who are curious an idea of how to re-route your BPV.

-Jim
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

If you get an AC line from a NA Legacy (which is what I did) you will not have to worry about it touching the IC. Only problem is that you will have to get your AC recharged.
Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

but you'll have an a/c line running pretty dang close to the turbo itself...
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Well, I got the stock BOV on and plumbed back into the intake, made the car run wayyy better. The PVC elbow that im using wont hold for long since the heat and the pressure of the clamps slowly warps it. This weekend I'll try to find a metal elbow, But so far so good, the IC is working great! Ill post pics this weekend, Im not sure how restrictive a 90 degree elbow is right after the turbo, but it works, the BOV routing is quite roundabout so nothing kinks...pics will explain everything, this weekend ill post em up and e-mail them to whoever wants them.
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

Jim,

Thanks for the pics. The setup you have looks awesome.

Legacy punk. Could you send some pics to my email?

Looks like I may be busy this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

PJ
p.gaerlan@comcast.net
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

How do I get rid of my AC?

Post by pjgaerlan »

How do I discharge my A/C? I got a N/A AC line and I plan on putting my WRX IC in soon. Just trying to figure out how to unbolt and discharge the system?? I know I'm supposed to have it professionally done but that's gonna cost me money correct?

thanks

PJ
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Yes, you are *supposed* to have it profesionally done :wink:

But if you just strt unbolting one of the lines that attaches to the compressor it will all bleed out. Just be sure not to huff whatever comes out.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It should only cost a couple of dollars to have it discharged at a shop... I think I paid $5 when I needed it done.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
HArd_Rocker
In Neutral

Post by HArd_Rocker »

vrg3 wrote:It should only cost a couple of dollars to have it discharged at a shop... I think I paid $5 when I needed it done.
yeah, think of the environment! :D
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Brat4by4: "you'll have an a/c line running pretty dang close to the turbo"
Its not too hard to insulate the line, its already got about 1/3 of an inch covering it. Home Depot carries pipe insulation that works perfect. If you kept your Chimney in place the ambient temperature shouldnt be that much anyways.
91scoobiesubie
First Gear

Post by 91scoobiesubie »

may i have some pics
chaznbecky01@enter.net
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

pics
david10@tampabay.rr.com

BTW I have AC and a wrx IC, and I have no problems. Let me know if you need any ?s answered.
95 Legacy N/A EJ22 - Turbo @ 5.5psi
WRX Turbo and Intercooler
STI Exhaust