Adding a rear swaybar

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Adding a rear swaybar

Post by jamal »

Well this has been covered in a few threads, but I haven't really seen a nice stickyable/linkable thread that details the whole process. Seeing as how I've added a rear swaybar on my originally RSBless 93 L, and I'm bored, I thought I'd do a nice writeup. There was a bit of discussion in the compendium as well, but it kind of seems like it's getting a little cluttered. Maybe we should just make an FAQ/Threads of note with specific write ups linked or something. Or maybe I should just get on with it already.

Ok, well firstly, most BC/BF/BJs have a rear swaybar. The exception to this is the 92-94 L models. All of them. I always thought the wagons did but apparantly not. According to the compendium, LS, LSi, and 90-91 L models have a 16mm rear bar. turbos and air suspension cars have 18mm. There are also two different setups for rear swaybars. The 90-92 cars have a droplink setup, which is a vertical endlink that fits into a hole in the rear lateral link.

Picture:

new stuff: Here is a thread that explains how the older setup works and what parts you can get from whiteline to upgrade your droplinks:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=34005

Anyway, back to our regular scheduled program:

The 93-94s, along with most other newer Subarus, have C-links that connect to tabs on the endlink:

AFAIK, all the BC/BF mounting brackets are the same, as well as pretty much every other Subaru mounting bracket. Outback/forester brackets might be taller.

It should also be noted that the mounting brackets on 04+ Imprezas are beefed up, and are a good option if you don't want to spend all that money on the HD whiteline parts. The bushings for those brackets are also different. The whiteline part number for them is W0406-[mm] as compared to the stock W0404-[mm] d-bushings. Click for pictures.

So, anyway, if your car doesn't have a rear swaybar, it's not terribly difficult to install one. The benefits of an rsb include better handling due to more evenly balanced roll stiffnesses and less body roll. It really makes the car feel a whole lot better and creates less understeer.

What you'll need to do this:

-A swaybar*
-Rear lateral links with endlink mounting tabs
-Endlinks
-Swaybar mounting brackets and the right bushings for the bar you're using.
-Possibly a thread chaser
-Probably new hardware to mount the lateral links
-An alignment afterwards

*Only swaybars made for our cars will fit without issue. The tire well is in the way of impreza bars, although they can be made to fit by "moving" the bump out of the way. I'm thinking about trying to fit a 20mm wrx rear bar with creative use of a deep socket and jack.

If you shop around and buy the parts used, you should be able to get everything for around $100.

Once you have all this stuff, you'll need to replace the rear lateral links. This part may or may not be easy. I had a hard time with the bolt that connects the link to the crossmember. It's a cammed bolt that is used to adjust toe, and mine was fused to the metal part of the bushing. After a whole lot of prying and burning, I cut off the bolt with a sawzall. Before this I had brought it to a shop, and their impact gun couldn't get the bolt out of the bushing. The side that connects to the knuckle didn't come out very nicely, either, and I ended up destroying the bushing.

Burn baby burn:

Ha ha take that:

I had to bring the long bolt that connects the links to the kunckle to pepboys to get the remains of the bushing off. I recommend just buying new bolts, nuts, and washers beforehand, then it won't matter if you have to cut things off. I waited 3 weeks to get the cammed bolt because we kept ordering the wrong thing.

Alright now things are looking better:

Time to get the mounting brackets on. The holes are already in place in the frame, so all you need are the mounts and hardware. The right one is a little difficult because there isn't much room to get at the front bolt, which is above the gas filler tube. I found it was best to take off all the plastic shrouding and such on the tube to get at the hole, and also to chase the threads because the bolts didn't want to go in very easily. I don't remember the pitch off the top of my head.

Here you can see that there isn't much room:

Putting on the swaybar is pretty easy. You just need to feed it over the exhaust and bolt everything down. Endlink bolts should be torqued to spec with the car on the ground.

Since you messed with the cammed bolt that adjusts toe and put on different lateral links, you're going to want an alignment. You should probably mark where they were in the first place, so you can drive around a bit without trashing the tires.

Other threads of note discussing rear swaybars:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=25767
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=22175
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=19565
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=15736
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=15967
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=2366
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=986
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=195

Another option could be to buy the endlinks that attach to the end of the lateral links. Poltec makes these, and you'd have the additional benefit of adjustable endlinks with spherical bearings. Price is $170.

Did I miss anything?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot the bonus picture:

Last edited by jamal on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Nice job! :!: :!: :!:
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

how much for the cat?
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Aw crap, that means I don't have one. What extra materials would I need if any?
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

my 93 L has a sway bar, drop link style. I put a turbo RSB on it. Another thing to be noted is that you need an alignment after swapping lateral links. Nevermind you already said that :shock: Also, can you make a drop link bar work with C link laterals?
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

so jamal, those poltec adjustable endlinks will work on my car? As is I don't have a swaybar on it but want to add one. I have the bar and all the stuff i need to mount it except the lateral links. I am either going to go with lateral links or those poltec adjustable endlinks as in i wouldn't have to get an alignment after putting on the swaybar. With regards to the poltecs, how to they attach to the car?
Brent

'92 Legacy Wagon Winestone, 265K on body, ~100K on engine, 5spd, kyb gr2's w/ whiteline ground control springs, sti top hats, hatch spoiler to be added soon...
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

sorry for the delay.

the poltecs attach by taking out the bolt that attaches the lateral link to the knuckle. So doing that could turn out to be just as much of a pain in the ass as swapping the lateral links.

As far as fitment goes, I think they should work. However I'm not sure if they place the mounting point farther out like the STi. STi rear swaybars are longer because of this. You may want to check with pol-tec before buying them.

Also, as far as the droplink and c-link swaybars, I think the hole in the droplink bars is bigger in diameter. Other than that they are the same. So you would possibly need to get a bushing from mcmaster-carr or something to make it fit.
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

hey jamal, what size bolts are used for mounting the mounting brackets?
Brent

'92 Legacy Wagon Winestone, 265K on body, ~100K on engine, 5spd, kyb gr2's w/ whiteline ground control springs, sti top hats, hatch spoiler to be added soon...
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I don't remember. 12mm wrench, so like M8x1.25 or something.
86ruguy
Second Gear

Post by 86ruguy »

will the 90-92 rear links work on the 93-94 style car?
92wagon (wife's)
92 5mtwagon white(recently re-aquired)
92 sedan (sold)
91 ss no mods (sold)
88 GL Wagon (broken)
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I think the change is between 90-91 and 92-94 and I think the answer is no, but I'm really not sure.
-Nick
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

86ruguy wrote:will the 90-92 rear links work on the 93-94 style car?
No. They attach to the lateral links in a completely different way.
86ruguy
Second Gear

Re: Adding a rear swaybar

Post by 86ruguy »

[quote="jamal"] the rear lateral link.

Picture:

MY Question is will these bars fit the 92-94's or do i HAVE to find different ones. I have a complete 1990 rear set up and want to know before i disable my car if these parts will BOLT ON TO the 92.

The piece that the end link bolt goes thru is what i assume you all are calling the rear lateral links. (not the sway bar end) this is the part that i would like to know if it will fit the later year car.

Thanks, hope i made that a little clearer,

Dave
92wagon (wife's)
92 sedan (sold)
91 ss no mods (sold)
88 GL Wagon (broken)
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

NOTE: "Control arm" and "lateral link" have been used interchangeably in this thread.

They will NOT bolt on to a '92. I have a '92 and I've also seen a '91 and I can tell you the suspension part (control arm) that the sway bar connects to is completely different. There's no easy way around it, you need to find a sway bar, end links, and rear control arms ('92 to '94) with mounting brackets.

The rear control arm used for the '90-'91 is quite different from that of the '92-'94 and I don't think they're interchangeable.

Only '92-'94 Legacy L models that do not have a rear sway bar, and for these cars the rear control arm to the rear wheels does not have a sway bar mounting bracket, they will have to be replaced with control arms that do (a rear end alignment will be needed afterwards).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
-Nick
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Soul Shinobi wrote:NOTE: "Control arm" and "lateral link" have been used interchangeably in this thread.

They will NOT bolt on to a '92. I have a '92 and I've also seen a '91 and I can tell you the suspension part (control arm) that the sway bar connects to is completely different. There's no easy way around it, you need to find a sway bar, end links, and rear control arms ('92 to '94) with mounting brackets.

The rear control arm used for the '90-'91 is quite different from that of the '92-'94 and I don't think they're interchangeable.

Only '92-'94 Legacy L models that do not have a rear sway bar, and for these cars the rear control arm to the rear wheels does not have a sway bar mounting bracket, they will have to be replaced with control arms that do (a rear end alignment will be needed afterwards).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
Actually you're the first person to say "control arm." I consider the control arms to be the ones in the front of the car.

Otherwise you are right and there is no way to swap endlink types with the same lateral links.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Huh, I didn't realize I was the only one. Control arm is all over the Haynes manual, that's why preferred to use it.
-Nick
86ruguy
Second Gear

Post by 86ruguy »

well, i have absolute proof that the ENTIRE setup from a 1900 wagon will fit under the 92-94 wagon( assuming that the 92-94's are all the same)

I had a complete RSB and rear lateral link setup from a 90 and it bolted right in to the 92 wagon.

This was done in less than 4 hours. About 2 hours to get it off the 90, and about 1 3/4 hours to pull the rear lateral links off my car and install the "new" stuff on my car. This includes the rear lateral links, the sway bar to body brackets, the sway bar itself and of course the end links.
:smt041
92wagon (wife's)
92 sedan (sold)
91 ss no mods (sold)
88 GL Wagon (broken)
klaxed
Second Gear

Post by klaxed »

I can back up the fact that 90-91 rear swaybar stuff will bolt onto 92-94 because I have a 92 wagon and I have a swaybar setup from a 91ss (droplink style).
Brent

Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I presume this works because you swapped lateral links (control arms) too?
-Nick
86ruguy
Second Gear

Post by 86ruguy »

Affirmative......that's why I said "ENTIRE SETUP"
92wagon (wife's)
92 sedan (sold)
91 ss no mods (sold)
88 GL Wagon (broken)
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Ah, alright, now it all makes sense.
-Nick
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

I dont know if this will be useful but if you want correct oem parts its better to refer the rear ones as lateral links (go side to side in the rear) and control arms in the front. The sway bar end links on the the end of the sway bar. The Subaru parts catalog overlaps end links styles in 1992. Some models have drop links and others the C. My 92 Turbo wagon has drop style.
speedoboy31
First Gear

Post by speedoboy31 »

another option, i did it the easy way; pulled the drop link style from my dead 92 awd, installed it in my 92 2wd and welded 6" pieces if angle iron to the lateral links. lined it up with the bar and links in the car, drilled holes in the iron to accomodate the links, and that was it... no fightin rusty bolts, no alignment needed. been in for over a year now no probs. p.s. weld top and bottom where angle iron meets the lat link for rigidity.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

This begs for a picture of it. :)
-Nick
speedoboy31
First Gear

Post by speedoboy31 »

gimme a couple days. i'll have it up on the lift and snap a few pics.