Well, looks like i've joined the ranks of the intercooled.

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bane
First Gear

Well, looks like i've joined the ranks of the intercooled.

Post by Bane »

Finally got around to installing the vf34 and wrx intercooler on the car.

It isn't the most beautiful setup... mostly because some older connectors broke when it was close to finished, hence the "gorgeous" brass-T and see-through hose (but when i have some time, i will shorten the hoses and make it look "cleaner").

The car pulls like a monster now, sounds awesome and is begging to be abused.

In fact i've already scared myself with the acceleration, because i still need to upgrade the brakes to something a little better then warped high quality OEM replacements, lol.

So this will be something to enjoy on my own to and from work... otherwise that bov is just too loud to go unnoticed by the wifey when we go on vacation next week! As it is, I'll probably have to explain it and the whine that can now be heard from the turbo and intercooler.

The plan is to recirc the bov but that looks like a bigger headache then i want to deal with now. Apparently there is no recirc adapter fitting for this model bov... oh well, that's what you get when you buy used, without research!

BIG, BIG, BIG thanks to Nico and his pops Carmen!

I wish i could say they just helped a little, but to be honest, they did most of the work, while I helped a little.

If i had tried to do this in my driveway, i think i would have ended up: upset, frustrated, carless, and still working on it a day later. They had all the tools and miscellaneous parts in the garage to make it work, when things didn't go according to plan. Total time of about 6hrs.

sooo...

The list so far:

1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
18" ADR's with 215/40/18 Kuhmo's
WRX springs and struts
WRX coolant resevoir
WRX intercooler
IHI VF34 turbo
Blitz Dual Drive bov
3" HKS downpipe
3" custom midpipe with high flow cat
Greddy Evo2 exhaust
Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller 10psi/15psi
Autometer A/F, Oil Pressure and Boost gauges in 3 pod A-pillar

Might seem like nothing special to some of you guys with more extreme mods, but when you consider money spent to date:

car = $5000
parts = $2600
installs = $600'ish

it ain't half bad for just over $8k cdn!

ran 15's on stock turbo and no intercooler, and no idea what i was doing on the track (automagic should have been left in 3rd MUCH longer, where it has more pull, with recent experiments 2nd gear gets me to 120kph no problems, lol).

Very curious to see what it'll do now, and again after injectors and tune.

Anyone up for Cayuga on Monday for a run? :D

Still to do:

brembo cross drilled rotors
wrx hoodscoop
bigger injectors
neetronics tune
revisit suspension
repaint[/img]
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

oh neat!
seee...I'm still predicting how fast I'd be in the 1320....

my setup is just a small...
TDO4 WRX turbo
WRX intercooler
3" bellmouth downpipe (open downpipe for the time being until I find something for the rest)
12psi

^^^^^^ this is into my '99 Impreza Wagon chassis.....

how did you get away with the fuel cut?
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

hmm, forgot to mention that in the list...oops

mechanical pressure bleed, before the map sensor. Never had an issue, and works great.

When time comes for the injectors and tune... we'll have to see if i need an electronic one...

that is my dream setup.... this engine in an old school impreza wagon. Couple of guys in the toronto club have done this and i'm VERY jealous.

what do you mean open downpipe for the time being, until you find something for the rest? nothing after the downpipe?? if i read that right, isn't that loud as hell? don't you attract unneeded uniformed attention running like that?

I mean i know the wagon is a sleeper, but still cops in TO would pull the car off the road.

I've been playing around over the last few days with the long haul to work.

as it stands right now... i'm actually impressed, on 10psi, with moderate speeding and occasional high boost switch on... i'm actually starting to get better mileage then prior to the turbo swap??

of course running 15psi full tilt didn't exactly get the same results.... lol
James L

-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Welcome to the intercooled world!

I run downpipe only. It is VERY loud. But my car looks like an old rust bucket so I think the cops have pity on me. :lol: Plus the chicks dig it. :-D
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

lol, love the sig!

3MT

hehehe

i'm assuming something happened to the other 2?

and i certainly wish my chick would dig it :(
then again, she might start paying attention to what goes on the car...

i love her working long hours on the weekend... lot's of time to get up to no good with mods.
:D
James L

-
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

:lol:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=185746

Be sure to read my update at the end. :wink:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

James, congrats on the IC install. And, yeah, Nico and his dad did you good.

Can you post pics of your a-pillar 3 pod? What kind is it -- universal or for a specifc car? I want a pillar 3 pod but I didn't think it would fit properly.

Thanks!
'94 TW
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

sure thing.

What i see at night:

fitment:

wires are hidden by side mirror plastic, so unless the door is open it looks pretty clean and oem'ish. and in hindsight, it did not need to be cut to fit (little wedge at the bottom missing between pillar and dash)... i was just being stupid.

rests a little higher then the stock pillar... but then again, this is on top of my stock pillar, I'm sure you could cut the stock one to make it look better.

one screw at the top into my stock pillar to hold it in place.

as far as i know it's an autometer wrx a-pillar kit.

Hope that helps.
James L

-
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Thanks for the pics! They do help a lot!

I just realized after reading your last post that yours is a Canadian Leg, right? Our USDM Legs have that automatic seatbelt. So, I was wondering if you would mind taking another pic of the a pillar from an outside angle so I can see the edge of the pod that rests nearest the window to see if the pod would work after some modification (cutting)? And, perhaps one more pic of the base of the pillar looking through the windshield, please?

Thx!
'94 TW
2.0 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 2.0 legacy »

VERRRRRRRRYYYYYY cool look.. great install.

I'm installing a 02 Impreza TMIC shortly.
I have a internaly wastegated turbo (V30).
Do you or your buds know if i can close off the BOV opening?

PS I'll be looking for help hehehe
ian
93 legacy 2.0 turbo
97 SVX drilled slotted rotors
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Wait.....

So you MET Nico?

Finally! Proof!

Nice installl by the way.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Have Nico explain it to your wife!

"It just go fucking quick!"

That's all you need :)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

lmao

we go for cruises and food every couple of months (local subaru club)

he is real, and his car is a freakin monster.

i haven't met anyone else that has that many 2.2 blocks in their garage.

thanks on the compliment. still envious of your inventiveness with turbo and sc...

would love to see it in person.
douglas vincent wrote:Wait.....

So you MET Nico?

Finally! Proof!

Nice installl by the way.
James L

-
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

BAC5.2 wrote:Have Nico explain it to your wife!

"It just go fucking quick!"

That's all you need :)
actually that's not a good idea... i haven't let the two of them meet yet. If she saw what he's done to his car, and guesses what i have planned for mine based on that... ugh... i'd never hear the end of it.

instead i go to his place to work on my car when it's something i don't want her to know about, and can't do it myself... ie, vf34 and i/c

James L

-