Lowering 91 Legacy L Wagon FWD

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cutthroat
In Neutral

Lowering 91 Legacy L Wagon FWD

Post by cutthroat »

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I just purchased a 91 legacy L wagon fwd, and I want to lower it at least 1.5 inches. What would be an inexpensive (sub $600) to achieve this? Does anyone make tapered lowering springs that will fit? Or can I change my top hats to accommodate non-tapered springs?
What top hats would i need and where can i find them?
I plan on buying some KYB GR-2 struts, and would prefer to go with new equipment vs. used.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't find the info i was looking for when searching. Thanks.
91 Legacy L Wagon FWD
voodoochylde
First Gear

Post by voodoochylde »

I really would reconsider how much you wish to drop if you are planning on using KYB GR-2's or even AGX's. AFAIK, they'll not handle much more than a 1.5" drop very well.

If you want to go lower than this, I'd recommend coilovers or maybe even struts off an STi with lowering springs those struts can handle. With the STi option, though, I believe you have to worry about camber issues.

Good luck!
cutthroat
In Neutral

Post by cutthroat »

1.5" would be just fine.
I found some Intrax 1.5" lowering springs that say they will work for a 90-99 legacy. Is that correct? I thought that the 92-99 had straight springs. If these will work for a 91, I will just buy them. Anyone know if these will actually work?
91 Legacy L Wagon FWD
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

buy some used 04 wrx springs. Direct fit, cheap, 1+ in lower.

The intrax thing is wrong. 90-99 are not the same.
cutthroat
In Neutral

Post by cutthroat »

are the front WRX springs a direct fit? I thought i read that I would need the front top hats from a wrx as well.

Can i use the 04 impreza struts in my car?
91 Legacy L Wagon FWD
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

that's probably the case.

Struts don't fit in the rear. Plus you wouldn't want to use them if they did because of the alignment problems.
cutthroat
In Neutral

Post by cutthroat »

thanks!
so, there is a subaru salvager near my house. They have some springs from a 2005 wrx that i am going to buy. I will be ordering the KYB AGX struts made for my vehicle.

....so now all i need to get are the front strut mounts and upper spring perches from an 04,05,06 impreza, right? Will these impreza top hats bolt right into my car without modification?
91 Legacy L Wagon FWD
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

yes, 04-07 wrx front sping perches will work no problem. You'll see once you take things apart.

However, there is no AGX fitment for your car. There is no AGX fitment for any fwd Subaru. The only decent struts available to you are KYB GR2s.
cutthroat
In Neutral

Post by cutthroat »

Thanks, GR-2's it is then.
91 Legacy L Wagon FWD
cutthroat
In Neutral

Post by cutthroat »

would the springs from a 04+ wrx sedan make my rear end sag too low? i'm having a difficult time finding wrx wagon springs.
91 Legacy L Wagon FWD
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

cut the springs one coil smaller. Works absolutely great. I have run mine like this for 2.5 years now, there are no problems.

All the stories about why this is a bad idea are crap, it is fools who cut off way too much that screw it up, not the idea itself. Also I would not cut springs that are flat on both ends, or ones that have smaller coils on the end but that is not the case here.

Grind the cut part a little bit flat so the springs will fit the perches better.
I have the AGX's also and they match up well.

Do yourself a favor and rent one of the spring compressors that is the hinged type (shaped like a big clamp), god does this save time
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

Anyone know if the STi springs would work as well? I think they are a little lower aren't they?
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

One other thing, do you need spring perches and top hats or do they all come together?