Make me a hero (04 STi Struts/Springs on a GC Impreza?)

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Make me a hero (04 STi Struts/Springs on a GC Impreza?)

Post by Vandal_RS »

I am new here, and just bought a 92 SS. I also have an 2000 RS, and am active on RS25.com also. The SS is going to be my new DD/fun car, and I have been researching cheap upgrades. I believe I want to do 04 STi takeoffs, and the research I have done leads me to believe this is an easy upgrade.

On to the subject matter. Research leads me to believe the following is true:

1. 04 STi struts/springs bolts on to a Legacy and lowers approx. 1 in using just 91 rear mounts to fit the STi's tapered springs

2. 92-94 Legacy suspension is basically the same as the 93-00 (GC) Impreza, and GC Impreza springs/struts will bolt straight up to a Legacy.

If that is fact, it would lead me to believe that 04 STi suspension would bolt on to a 93-00 Impreza with only 91 rear mounts!

If this is true, no one in the RS community seems to know it, and it might make a hero of anyone who tells them. There is not nearly as many cheap suspension upgrades for the RS, and this could be one. Can anyone confirm this? Or at least confirm that my logic is sound?

From research I did on the RS forums when I originally purchased my RS, a very few individuals had used 04 STi springs/struts, but had to fab up a rear mount (we're talking hacking and welding the stock mount), and raised the ride height an unacceptable amount in the rear destroying rear camber in the process. Obviously, that is not a problem on the Legacy.

One last separate, but related question. I have V5 STi (GC Impreza) struts on my RS that I may take off and mount on the Legacy. I have found 04-06 STi springs for $25-50 on nasioc and such. With 91 rear mounts, will those springs fit on the V5 STi struts? If so, can someone guess at the relative ride height (just looking for 'lower/higher' really)?

I sincerely appreciate your responses. This forum seems to have more than its fair share of really sharp members.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Your logic is correct. That setup will work.
SUBARUEHS Racing
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

I think you'll need camber bolts on the rear to get the alignment right, and possibly need to modify the front struts to get the bolt holes in the right spot. The track width on the 04 suspension is wider than a GC. Check Jamal's threads in the suspension forum (search for "04 sti suspension") if you haven't already, he's gone through all the nuances on a BC and they should all apply to a GC.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

seriously, nobody has figured out how to put sti takeoffs onto a gc before now? :?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Yeah, sounds crazy, but I think it is true. At least no one knows it's that easy. I have been hanging around RS25.com for 4 years and only heard of one guy running STi takeoffs. Anyway, thanks for the info everyone!
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

done on my dads car and you SHOULD have cmaber bolts on the rear. It is prob at 0 now.
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

not particularly new information.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=22575
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920116

pictures in my thread should be working shortly. I had some messed up htaccess settings.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Edit: nm I figured it out.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS