engine flooding with codes 22,32,44&45 resolved

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

N1446
Second Gear

engine flooding with codes 22,32,44&45 resolved

Post by N1446 »

here's the scenario..codes are 12,32,44,45

ORIGINAL codes:

12 Abnormal signal emitted from starter switch-both
32 Oxygen sensor inoperative-both
44 Duty solenoid valve inoperative/wastegate control-turbo only
45 Faulty Atmospheric pressure sensor- nonturbo only

i don t understand #12 the car starts fine

any ideas what i might do about # 44 ?

ill replace # 32 and # 45

i have a 91 ss 5mt running a 98 ej25d powerplant on the oem turbo ecu
-
this is the first time i ve been able to test and play with the motor now that it runns on its own
-
first up.. it smells rich..
-
under increasing load the engine will cut "like fuel cut" , i mean all systems stop until the throttle position backs off or engine load decreases and it feels almost like im flooding it.
-
in first gear i can get quite a bit of power, it does pull using a bit of gas and it sounds great- up to a certain point, however, if i push it more than 1/4 throttle 1/2 throttle it will BAWWWW and blackout until i back off the throttle, then it will catch and resume.
-
when i shift to second and try 1/4 - 1/2 throttle too quickly , BAWWWWWW, what seems like fuel cut.. i back off the throtte a bit and it continues up the rpm slowly under a quarter throttle or BAWWW
-
the ammount of throttle available lessens for third and fourth- if i try to push the throttle open past the engines speed BAWWWWW it cuts out
- i imagine 5th is terrible though i ve had no need to try it and i get the point

which is more likely ?

poor spark, fuel, vaccume, TPS, EGR valve- improperly capped ?

suggestions ?

- Mich
Last edited by N1446 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
N1446 Brutus
91 Legacy SS 5mt 2.5GT Swap
Legacy GT Suspension, 16" Fozzy Wheels, 2.5RS OBX EL Headers, Gutted Mid-Pipe, Subaru Catback c/w AWD BABY !
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Sounds like it could all be wiring problems to me.

The starter signal is meant to go from the starter to the ecu. It tells the ecu to impose artificial ignition timing and fuel settings because at cranking speeds the air flow meter and the cam/crank sensors don't put out accurate or dependable signals.

If th motor is running too rich the O2 code can get set.

The other two codes could be caused by wiring problems.

Given that you have just changed the wiring and all, I would definitly be checking all the wires were going to the right places before I went buying any new parts.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have been having issues with my SS lately but I am going to impose my ideas back onto your problem.

I am going to agree with the above, and say you might have a wiring problem with the starter issue.

The fuel issues could be cause by the fact that you are running a non-turbo engine on the turbo ECU.

Think of it this way: the car thinks it has boost up to 8 lbs. So when you go on throttle, it wants to fuel like you have a turbo. Thus, you are going to get more fuel than you need ( possibly). This will create a rich situation that may foul the plugs and O2 sensor.

Right now my car is having issues, and when it gets to atmospheric ( right before boost) it goes into limp mode and does the fuel cut.

What are you doing with all of the sensors that normally would be used for the turbo?
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
N1446
Second Gear

Post by N1446 »

for start i installed a proper o2 sensor this morning and the motor seems to run better, i ve not cleared the codes, so they re all still there

sounds like it is missing alot , it is flooding and i bet plugs and wires will help so they re up next for replacement

i spent all day in it messing with idle and vaccume and what-not, there is only one cable that moves on the TB, one is throttle and the outside one is for ?? are they meant to move in sync ?

driving it is so tempermental-like there is a sweet spot around half way that likes the amount of fuel and it will climb the rpms until i try to push it a tad bit farther- This must be where it trys to deliver too much fuel-

and no matter how far i push the pedal , no-fire until i let off the throttle to the "sweet spot" where it aggrees and continues to climb rpm so slightly

its powerfull enough, i ve been up to speed on the highway in 5th but its only allowing half throttle or barely half at most

barely idles and acts real sh*tty in the rain--

im not sure how to go about fixing the too much fuel issue and the un-used sensors i m not too sure what to do with them either, trial and error i guess- as far as i remember there were not many sensors un-used :smt102

im reading through the manuals for comparison

i have a feeling # 45 sensor is causing a heap of trouble

ill change the turbo fuel pump for a regular one to see if it helps any also
N1446 Brutus
Legacy GT Suspension, 16" Fozzy Wheels, 2.5RS OBX EL Headers, Gutted Mid-Pipe, Subaru Catback c/w AWD BABY !
N1446
Second Gear

Post by N1446 »

ok so i ran the ECU reset procedure
pulled fuse 14
waitied one hr
started the car, first attempt failed, second attempt ran for 20 minutes
turned ignition to OFF
check codes

i may have read improperly in the beginning

# 22 Abnormal voltage produced in knock sensor monitor circuit - Sets in regular fuel map and retards ignition timing
Legacy777 from a different post: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=42133&highlight=knock+sensor wrote:If the signal to the knock sensor is not there, the ECU goes into limp mode since it is not receiving that information.

If it's receiving the information, everything's working and you don't have a code.
dscoobydoo wrote:Right now my car is having issues, and when it gets to atmospheric ( right before boost) it goes into limp mode and does the fuel cut.
pretty sure this answers a few questions.

i must be limping.

ill switch out the sensor and post again.
N1446 Brutus
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

N1446 wrote:i must be limping.
If you have a data cable thats compatible with Windows (aka USB or custom alternative one), you can use RevScan (free) to view the 'Octane Factor' parameter. If its below 25%, your ECU is in limp mode.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
N1446
Second Gear

Post by N1446 »

after measuring the knock sensor between the chassi ground and the connector terminal it is no greater than 350k ohms , as ive read its meant to be between 400k and 700k

also between the sheild and the terminal is 350k ohm

male -male USB cable ?

N1446 Brutus
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

N1446 wrote:male -male USB cable ?
Either you can buy premade ones from revtronix or evoscan... or you can build/solder up your own (there are designs somewhere on this forum)

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
N1446
Second Gear

Post by N1446 »

so the knock sensor was wired incorrectly from the swap

i switched out the sensor and re-wired the connections and now im out of limp mode :smt023

it is still super rich tho, running regular fuel seems to smooth things out a bit, the new plugs and wires should help when they re added too

appriciate the info

Mich
N1446 Brutus